δέκα

ϟ

     On June 14, the train rolled into Denver. Amara enjoyed the dinner they had in the dining cart last night but unfortunately, the train didn't have a shower. She used the water from the sink in the restroom to scrub her face of any dirt and she rinsed her hair in the sink and pulled it into a braid.

     When they got off the train, Annabeth suggested, "Let's try to contact Chiron. I want to tell him about your talk with the river spirit."

     "We can't use phones, right?" asked Percy.

     "I'm not talking about phones."

     Amara looked over to Percy to see a confused expression on his face. "Wait till you see this," she grinned.

     That left him even more confused.

     They navigated through the city for half an hour. Amara admired the Rocky Mountains that surrounded the city.

     She had never seen such tall jagged mountains before and seeing the faint shadows in the distance amazed her.

     Finally, they reached an empty do-it-yourself car wash.

     They headed for the farthest stall away from the streets and Amara hoped nobody would be suspicious of four young teens at a car wash without a car.

     "What exactly are we doing here?" Percy asked as Grover took out the spray gun.

     "It's seventy-five cents," Grover grumbled. "I've only got two quarters left."

     "I only have dollars and drachmas," Amara said.

     Grover turned to Annabeth. "Don't look at me. The dining car wiped me out."

     Percy dug his hands into his pockets and dug out his change. He handed Grover his last quarter.

     "Excellent," Grover said. "We could do it with a spray bottle, of course, but the connection isn't as good, and my arm gets tired of pumping."

     "What are you talking about?" Percy asked.

     "I-M'ing," Grover replied as he pushed in the quarters and set the spray to fine mist mode.

     "Instant messaging?"

     "Iris-messaging," Amara corrected.

     "The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods. If you know how to ask, and she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods," Annabeth continued.

     "You summon the goddess with a spray gun?"

     Grover pointed the nozzle in the air and water hissed out in a thick white mist. "Unless you know an easier way to make a rainbow."

     The late afternoon light filtered through the vapor and broke into colors.

     Annabeth held her palm out. "Can either of you give me a drachma please?"

     Since there was already a drachma in Percy's hand and Amara would have to dig through her backpack to take one out, Percy handed it over.

     Annabeth raised the coin over her head. "O goddess, accept our offering."