επτά

ϟ

     With the package on its way to Olympus, Amara wondered what their reactions would be. Of course, the gods would be mad. Like, really mad. But she felt safe knowing that they wouldn't get smote yet because gods couldn't interfere with quests.

      They camped out in the woods that had soda cans littered all over the ground. She frowned.  At Camp Half-Blood, everything was clean of litter. There were no soda cans or wrappers lying randomly on the ground, you'd be able to see stars in the sky. But here, this was completely the opposite.

     They had wanted to light a fire, and it would've been easy considering Amara could generate sparks of lightning, but they didn't want to take the risk of attracting anything else.

     Percy had volunteered to take the first shift in keeping watch. Amara argued but Percy was stubborn.

     Grover flew up to the lowest branch of a tree and put his back to the trunk. Amara walked over to Annabeth on the blankets, moved her bag to her front, slipped her arms through, and wrapped her arms around it. 

     Considering how exhausted she was, she couldn't sleep. Sure, this wasn't the first time she hadn't slept in a bed but her nerves and anxiety kept her from closing her eyes and sleeping.

     While Grover and Percy talked, Amara began to think of the quest, but stopped herself. She knew she'd start overthinking things and come up with the worst scenarios. So, instead, she started to think of her mother. Was she missing her daughter? Was she out in a club partying herself away? Did her mother ever regret telling her daughter to leave? To go the camp and never come back?

     A tear slipped down her eye and she finally closed her eyes and let sleep take over.

Ψ

     Sweet little heroine, a voice echoed. Amara looked at her surroundings. She stood in a cavern. It was dark but she could see a gaping pit and she felt compelled to walk towards it. Even though it was a dream and nothing could happen to her in a dream, she didn't want to look down.

     Little, but tough. There's much potential. Perhaps in time, you'll grow, the voice laughed but it wasn't a human laugh. The voice felt old and evil. Join me, don't be a pawn of the Olympians. They use you. Join me and rebel against the Olympians, who have neglected you your whole life.

     Amara couldn't help but be tempted. She walked over closer to the pit. But the wisps of smoke, the spirits of the dead, around her began to whisper to her. "No! Wake!" they said.

     Amara tried to walk back but her legs were stuck, unable to move. She opened her mouth but no sound came out.

     The spirits whispered louder.

ϟ

     Amara woke up in cold sweat. Percy was still sleeping, Grover was nowhere to be seen. Amara looked over to Annabeth. "Where's Grover?"

     "He went exploring," she answered. "Here," Annabeth tossed Amara a bag of nacho-flavored corn chips. Amara ripped the bag open and began to munch on the chips.

     By the time Amara finished her bag of chips, Grover returned with a pink poodle, asking the Amara and Annabeth to say hello to it. Amara was a bit reluctant but after a growl from the dog, Amara said hello to the poodle.

     While Grover was talking with the poodle, who was named Gladiola, Amara decided to start up a conversation with Annabeth. She realized that having been in the same camp for four years, the two didn't know anything about each other, besides their godly parent.