πέντε

ϟ

   "I've got it," Annabeth said. "Percy, take my hat." 

     Amara didn't know how Annabeth had thought of an idea so quick, but she figured it had something to do with her being the daughter of Athena.

     "What?" Percy said confused.

     "You're the one they want. Turn invisible and go up the aisle. Let them pass you. Maybe you can get to the front and get away."

     "But you guys-"

     "There's an outside chance they might not notice us," Annabeth said. "You're a son of one of the Big Three. Your smell might be overpowering." 

     "But what about Amara?"

     "They're not looking for me. They're after the lightning thief which, as far as they know, is you," Amara replied as she put on her backpack. She knew they'd probably be out of the bus shortly and she needed her hands to be free so she slipped her arms through the straps.

     "I can't just leave you."

     "Don't worry about us," Grover said. "Go!" 

     With trembling hands, Percy put the cap on and vanished into thin air.

     The Furies kept coming. About ten seats in front of Amara, the first Fury stopped, sniffed the air, and turned toward a seat. Amara guessed that was where Percy was. Her heart pounded. His scent as it was was already powerful. Add to the fact he had sat next to Amara, her scent rubbed on him, then he probably smelled as strong as a middle school boy who sprayed Axe all over himself.

     They kept going.

     Amara let a sigh out of relief but that meant they would be getting closer to her, Annabeth, and Grover now.

     All of a sudden, the three Furies began unpleasantly screeching. It almost hurt Amara's ears to listen to.

     Then they began changing form. Amara didn't think they could get any uglier and she was right. Their faces were the same, but their skin melted into a leathery brown texture and they grew bat wings. Their hands and feet were like gargoyle claws and their handbags had turned into whips with sparks of fire.

     The three Furies surrounded Amara, Annabeth, and Grover. Lashing their whips they asked--no, hissed, "Where is it? Where?"

     The other people saw something, all right. It showed by how they were screaming and cowering under their seats.

     Amara wondered what would happen if she played dumb. "Where is what?" she thought of asking. At least it would buy Percy more time.

     So she played dumb.

     "Oh, daughter of Zeus," snarled one of them. "I'm sure you know. Now tell me where it is and you'll die a death of lesser pain!"

     "He's not here!" Annabeth yelled. "He's gone!"

     The Furies did not like that answer. They raised their whips.

     Annabeth drew her gold dagger, Grover grabbed a tin can, and Amara ran her finger across her metal cuff. In seconds, it turned into a sword.

     The next half an hour was complete chaotic mayhem. The bus swerved in so many directions that Amara didn't even know existed. She was tossed back and forth, left and right, and tried her best not to be killed.

     She didn't know where the bus was headed, she couldn't afford to look out the window to confirm her location.

     She reminded herself to give Percy an earful once they got off the bus.