έντεκα

ϟ

     "Not good," Grover said. "Ares sought you out, Percy. This is not good."

     "It's probably some kind of trick," Percy said. "Forget Ares. Let's just go."

     "We can't," Annabeth said. "Look, I hate Ares as much as anybody, but you don't ignore the gods unless you want serious bad fortune. He wasn't kidding about turning you into a rodent."

     "Why does he need us?"

     "Maybe it's a problem that requires brains," Annabeth said. "Ares has strength. That's all he has. Even strength has to bow to wisdom sometimes."

     "But this water park... he acted almost scared. What would make a war god run away like that?"

      Annabeth and Grover glanced nervously at each other.

     Annabeth said, "I'm afraid we'll have to find out."

     "Oh man, this doesn't sound good," Amara muttered.

     The sun was sinking behind the mountains by the time they found the water park. The sign read WAT R A D so it took a while for Amara to figure out it was probably once called WATERLAND.

     The main gate was padlocked and topped with barbed wire. Inside, huge dry waterslides and tubes and pipes curled everywhere, leading to empty pools. Old tickets and advertisements fluttered around the asphalt. With night coming on, the place looked sad and creepy.

     "If Ares brings his girlfriend here for a date," Percy said, staring up at the barbed wire, "I'd hate to see what she looks like."

     Amara looked to him bewildered but then remembered he was new to the world of Greek gods. "Oh, you don't know who it actually is, do you?"

     "Percy," Annabeth warned. "Be more respectful."

     Percy looked away from Amara to Annabeth. "Why? I thought you hated Ares."

     "He's still a god. And his girlfriend is very temperamental."

     "You don't want to insult her looks," Grover added.

     "Oh no, you don't," Amara shuddered, as if pulling away from a bad memory.

     "Who is she? Echidna?"

     "No, Aphrodite," Grover said, a little dreamily. "Goddess of love."

     "I thought she was married to somebody," Percy said. "Hephaestus."

     "So? My dad's married to Hera. And here I am," Amara pointed out.

     "What's your point?" Grover added.

     "Oh. So how do we get in?"

     "Maia!" Grover's shoes sprouted wings.

     He flew over the fence, did an unintended somersault in midair, then stumbled to a landing on the opposite side. He dusted off his jeans, as if he'd planned the whole thing. "You guys coming?"

     Amara took that as a challenge. She flew over the fence, stayed suspended in the air for a few seconds, did a twirl and two flips and landed on her feet.

     "Beat that, Grover," she smirked jokingly. Grover rolled his eyes with a smile.

     Annabeth and Percy had to climb the old-fashioned way, holding down the barbed wire for each other as they crawled over the top. Once they got to the top, Amara lifted them up in the air. "Amara!" Percy screamed, not expecting to be levitated into the air.