έξι

ϟ

     After thanking the old lady, they went inside.

     Annabeth muttered to Percy, "Circus caravan?"

     "Always have a strategy, right?"

     "Your head is full of kelp."

     While Annabeth and Percy shared their short altercation, Amara was busy looking at the weirdly lifelike statues. They gave her the creeps.

     They arrived at the dining area, which had a fast-food counter with a grill, a soda fountain, a pretzel heater, and a nacho cheese dispenser.

     Again, Amara's stomach growled. No matter how shady the place seemed to be, she couldn't ignore her hunger.

     "Please, sit down," Aunty Em said.

     "Awesome," Percy said. Amara didn't know whether to glare at him or roll her eyes. How was he so oblivious?

     "Um," Grover said reluctantly, "we don't have any money, ma'am."

     Before Amara could agree and leave, Aunty Em said, "No, no, children. No money. This is a special case, yes? It is my treat, for such nice orphans."

     "Thank you, ma'am," Annabeth said.

     Aunty Em stiffened, which caused Amara to be more suspicious.

     "Quite all right, Annabeth," she said. "You have such beautiful gray eyes, child."

     This should've been a red alert for the four to leave the place but of course, they weren't thinking straight with their overwhelming hunger.

     Before long, Aunty Em had served them a tray with double cheeseburgers, vanilla shakes, and french fries.

     Amara took a burger. She knew not to eat too much otherwise she'd get tired and sleepy when she was supposed to be awake and alert.

     After finishing half of her burger, she took a few fries and slurped on her shake. She noticed Grover picking at his fries, his nerves picking at him.

     "What's that hissing noise?" he asked.

     Amara tried hard, but she didn't hear any hissing noise. But then again, Grover was a satyr. They had keen senses of smell and hearing.

     "Hissing?" Aunty Em asked. "Perhaps you hear the deep-fryer oil. You have keen ears, Grover."

     "I take vitamins. For my ears."

     "That's admirable," she said. "But please, relax."

     Amara just wanted to eat and get the heck out of there but of course, Percy had other plans. He started up a conversation.

     "So you sell gnomes?"

     "Oh, yes," Aunty Em said. "And animals. And people. Anything for the garden. Custom orders. Statuary is very popular, you know."

     "A lot of business on this road?"

     "Not so much, no. Since the highway was built... most cars, they do not go this way now. I must cherish every customer I get."

     The way she said the last part of the sentence sent chills down Amara's spine. This lady was giving her the heeby-jeebies.

     Amara looked around the place. Her eyes landed on a statue of a young girl holding an Easter egg basket. Her expression, though, seemed almost terrified. The statue looked so real, it seemed as if it was a real person that turned into stone.