εννέα

ϟ

     Amara closed her eyes, focusing on her surroundings. She focused on the smallest detail, feeling the air surround her body. With her hand holding Percy's, it was easier to support him as well as herself. She used the air to slow them down and she felt it working, but since she was bearing an extra person, it wasn't as slow as was ideal.

     Suddenly, Amara couldn't feel the air whipping past her and instead she felt like she was in maple syrup. She began sinking slowly and realized they had landed in the Mississippi River. She felt bubbles form around her as they sank to the bottom of the river, a catfish swimming through the trash that littered the water.

     She looked over to Percy and saw him touching his shirt, which was perfectly dry. Her hand automatically reached over to her own shirt to see that it wasn't wet either. Amara realized it probably had something to do with Percy being the son of Poseidon. Her eyes landed on their still intertwined hands and she figured if she let go, she'd get drenched.

     Percy began playing with a lighter, its flame still flickering despite being underwater. Amara took the risk of letting go of her breath and began breathing normally.

     Percy stood up, Amara followed.

     "Um... thanks," he said. Was he thanking Amara? Was he thanking her for trying to not let him die? She was about to say 'you're welcome' when he added, "Thank you... Father."

     Amara's face drooped but Percy didn't seem to notice. A paddleboat above them churned, swirling the silt around. A gleam caught Amara's eyes and she saw that it was Percy's sword.

     She saw Percy looking around and was about to lead him to his sword when he said, "Where are you?"

     Amara looked at him strangely. Where is who, she was about to ask him but before she could, Percy walked to a different direction, involuntarily letting go of Amara's hand in the process. Her eyes widened as water surrounded her and she couldn't breathe. She couldn't see Percy, the murky water clouding her vision. Amara shut her eyes and, as quickly as possible, swam to the surface.

     Her head shot out of the water and she swam to shore. She tried breathing in air but it was difficult while she was coughing up water.

     After her breaths had evened out, Amara looked around to make sure no one was watching and when she was certain she didn't see or feel a pair of eyes on her, she swirled the warm air around her at a fast speed in order to dry her off.

     She bent down and opened her backpack. Everything in it was soaking wet but there wasn't anything valuable in it. The nectar was safe since it was in a canteen and the ambrosia squares were in a zip lock bag so they were safe, too. Her extra pair of clothes and socks were wet but they would dry off. Her mortal money was also in a zip lock bag and the drachmas were coins so they weren't damaged either.

     Amara turned her sword back into a cuff and slipped it on her wrist. Her socks were still wet and her jeans were slightly damp, but she slipped her arms through the straps of her backpack. Just a second later, Percy emerged from the water, with Riptide in hand, looking like he hadn't just dived six hundred feet into a river.

     Amara glared at him and went to find Grover and Annabeth.

     She saw police cars, firetrucks, and ambulances surrounding the arch. Helicopters flew around it. As Percy quickened his pace to reach Amara, she heard a little girl say, "Mama! That boy walked out of the river."

     "That's nice, dear," her mother said, distracted by the ambulances.

     "But he's dry!"