οκτώ

ϟ

     It was June 13, eight days before the deadline, when they reached St. Louis. Amara figured they were probably a third of the way to the Underworld in Hollywood, California.

     Amara was restless. Even though they weren't doing the worst on time, she wanted the train to go faster. She wanted this quest done and over with.

     "I want to do that," Annabeth sighed, pulling Amara from her thoughts. She looked to where Annabeth was gazing and saw the Gateway Arch.

     "What?" Percy asked.

     "Build something like that. You ever see the Parthenon?"

     "Only in pictures."

     "Yeah, I haven't really gotten the chance to just fly over to Greece lately," Amara replied, which Annabeth ignored.

     "Someday, I'm going to see it in person. I'm going to build the greatest monument to the gods, ever. Something that'll last a thousand years."

     Percy laughed. "You? An architect?"

     Unlike Percy, Amara could see it happening. Though she never thought that Annabeth would be the architectural type, now that she knew, it didn't seem like an out-of-the-world idea.

     Annabeth's cheeks flushed. "Yes, an architect. Athena expects her children to create things, not just tear them down, like a certain god of earthquakes I could mention."

     Amara began rubbing her temples. "If you two are going to argue again, I'm jumping out the train."

     "Sorry," Annabeth said shortly after. "That was mean."

     "Can't we work together a little?" Percy pleaded.

     "Please do," Amara muttered under her breath.

      "I mean, didn't Athena and Poseidon ever cooperate?"

     Annabeth had to think about it. "I guess... the chariot," she said tentatively. "My mom invented it, but Poseidon created horses out of the crests of waves. So they had to work together to make it complete."

     "Then we can cooperate, too. Right?"

     Amara nodded her head furiously, silently pleading them to work as a team.

     "I suppose," she said at last.

Ψ

     When Annabeth hurried them along for sightseeing, Amara was reluctant to go. They were bound to encounter a monster. And since they were going to the top of the Gateway Arch, it would be difficult to defeat it.

     The four were in the underground museum when Percy asked Grover, "Smell anything?"

     Grover sniffed the air. "Underground," he said distastefully. "Underground air always smells like monsters. Probably doesn't mean anything."

     Amara braced herself. She had a feeling that it probably did mean anything.

     "Guys," Percy said. "You know the gods' symbol of power?"

     Amara turned her face from trying to find the exit to him. "Yeah," she nodded.

     "Well, Hade--" he began but got cut off by Grover.

     "We're in a public place. You mean, our friend downstairs?"

     "Um, right," Percy said. "Our friend way downstairs. Doesn't he have a hat like Annabeth's?"