I'm Sorry

"Kaylee!" Alex yelled running after me. "Leave me alone!" I cried before melting onto the sidewalk, pulling my knees into my chest. "I didn't mean it, Kay, I'm sorry." Alex said, sitting beside me. "That's what everyone says." I say, looking away. "They always say that and then they hurt you again." "Kaylee, what are you talking about?" Alex asked, her voice sad. "Almost all of my foster parents said that and then either hurt me or sent me back to the orphanage." I explained. "Kaylee, I promise you, I won't hurt you or send you back." She said, tears welling up in her eyes as she held out her pinky. I took it, wrapping my small finger around hers. "I love you." Alex whispered, pulling me into her chest.
***
We stayed like this for what seemed like forever or at least until we saw Supergirl flying back into the D.E.O. "Can I meet her?" I ask, looking up happily. "Of course." Alex said, helping me up.
****
As we walked back up the stairs, I fix my hair and outfit continuously, asking if I looked okay. "You look amazing. She's going to love you." Alex reassures me.
Finally, we reach the top of the stairs and I see Supergirl leaning against a table talking to the man I had seen with Alex earlier. I fidgeted with my fingers nervously as we approached her. "Kara." Alex said, addressing her sister. She turned around, her blonde curls twirling as she went. "Hi, Alex. Who's this?" She asked, looking down at me. I look up, smiling and I see Alex mouth something to her. She nods her head, turning her attention to me. "I'm Kara." She says holding her hand out for me to shake. "I-I'm Kaylee." I say, taking her hand and wince as she shakes it. "Sorry!" She says, noticing my pain. "No, no, it's fine." I say, shaking the pain from my hand and forcing a smile.
"I like your shirt." Kara says, looking down at my shirt that displays the same symbol that's on her suit. I giggle, "I like yours too."
There's a silence for a moment before the man, who's name I think is Jon, informs her of a large fire on Main Street. She instantly rushes to the balcony and flys in the direction of the fire.
***
After Kara had returned, Alex and I went to the infirmary for a D.N.A test. We had just finished our fingerprints and the only part left was our blood, which I dreaded. I had always hated needles and had only been to the doctors about 5 times since I had been put up for adoption.
Alex held my hand with her free one. The needle was about to enter my arm when the strangest thing happened. I opened my eyes, which were glued shut and looked around. The doctor was shocked and Alex seemed concerned. "What?" I asked, confused. I followed their eyes, looking down at my arm and gasped. The needle had bent and now lay broken on the table beside me. After a moment of me staring dumbfounded at the needle, Alex spoke up, "Do we need the blood?" The doctor looked at her. "No, we will just have to study the fingerprints very carefully." She told her and Alex nodded, taking my hand. We left the infirmary without saying a word, but I could tell Alex was thinking about the sight we had just witnessed. She walked me down the hall, saying goodbye to everyone, it was getting late and we were both tired.
****
After saying goodbye, we walked outside where Maggie had been waiting for us. Alex opened the door and buckled me into a car seat that Maggie had bought me.
By the time we reached the apartment building, I was just starting to drift off to sleep. Maggie carried me upstairs and placed me in bed. They sat down on the bed beside me and Alex took off my glasses before kissing me on the head. Maggie did the same before shutting the light off. "Goodnight Kaylee." They said in unison, closing the door. "Goodnight." I whispered, before drifting off to sleep.