Positive

When I wake up, I'm in the guest bed. I get up and stretch before walking out into the living room. I'm surprised when I see both Alex and Maggie sitting on the couch, discussing work. "Maggie, aren't you supposed to be at work?" I asked, pulling a confused look. "Good morning to you too." Alex says sarcastically. I laugh, "Good morning." I say, before looking back at Maggie. "Alex and I have the day off." She informed me. "Oh." I say, sitting down next to them on the couch. Alex face brightens up immediately, "We received the DNA results earlier and have been waiting for you to wake up." I look at her excitedly,my eyes changing blue, the way they do when I'm happy or excited. "So." I say impatiently. Maggie laughs and gets up, returning moments later with a large, yellow envelope. She hands it to Alex, who opens it quickly, grabbing the paperwork. She flips through the pages until she's found the one with the results. Her eyes light up with happiness and I already know the answer. "It's positive!" She exclaims happily. We began celebrating but were interrupted by a knock on the door. Alex got up and answered the door. When she opened it, I was happy to see Kara standing in the doorway. "Can I come in?" She asks. "Of course." Alex said. "I heard you guys cheering from downstairs, what's so exciting?" Kara asks as she stepped inside. Alex rushes to the couch, holding up the piece of paper. Kara seems confused for a moment, but after realizing what she meant, she embraced her sister. "That's amazing! Congrats guys!" She says. She then kneels down to my level.     
"Welcome to the family, Kaylee." She says, hugging me.
*****
After about an hour of talking, we decided to get ice cream. Everyone had been dressed except me, so ran to the guest bedroom and got my bag. "We may have a tinsy problem." I said, stepping out of the bedroom. "I have no more clothes." Alex looked at me uncertainly, "just wear  your other outfit and we'll buy you some more." I shook my head before disappearing into the room. I came out a few minutes later wearing jean shorts, a white tank top, and my beat up black converse. "I'm ready!" I said, sliding on my gray sweatshirt. They stood up and headed for the door. Kara held out her hand and I took it before leaving.
****
After ice cream, we walked to the nearest clothing store. Once inside, we all made a mental list of what I needed, and split up. I went with Kara to the clothes, while Alex and Maggie went to find me shoes. "Nikes or converse!" I called, reminding them one more time before they had disappeared. Kara and I browsed the clothes and we ended up buying a little of everything. Once we were satisfied, we met up with Alex and Maggie at checkout. We payed and left the store, carrying armfuls of bags
*****
A few hours later, Kara left and I put on a mini fashion show. At the end, Alex and Maggie clapped and I bowed, giggling. "How'd we get to be so lucky?" Alex asked, looking from Maggie to me. I blushed and sat down between them on the couch. "I don't know." I sighed, sinking back into the cushions, causing them both to laugh. There was a moment of silence between us. "You know, my birthday's in a few days." I said trailing off. "How could we forget." Maggie said. I smiled, becoming curious. "Why'd you give me up?" I asked. It was quick and innocent, but I could see that it upset them. I lowered my head, not expecting a reply. "We did it to protect you." Alex said finally. "From what?" I asked. "From the bad guys, when you were born there were too many to keep track of and we didn't want you getting hurt." Maggie continued. I nodded, finally understanding. All my life, I've been in and out of foster homes and now I'm actually glad that they put me up for adoption. Not because they didn't love me, like I had thought for so many years, but because they cared. "I love you guys." I said, hugging them. "We love you too, Kay."