Day At The DEO

*One Week Later*

I woke up extra early this morning because I'm super excited to be returning to the DEO after a week of recovery from the kryptonite incident. I quickly got dressed into a pair of jean shorts and a plain black t-shirt, pulling my hair into a messy bun. After wolfing down a small bowl of cheerios, I ran over to Maggie and kissed her on the cheek before waiting for Alex.
"Bye Mommy!" I yelled, smiling from my spot near the door.
"Bye sweetie, have fun at the DEO today!" She replied, giving Alex a kiss.
"I will!" I yelled, skipping happily out of the door with Alex following close behind me.
*********

Once we got to the DEO, we took the elevator to the top floor. We walked down the long hallway to the main workspace, where I was greeted by several smiles and "welcome backs." I responded to these kind gestures with a shy smile. As I reached the entrance, I saw Kara standing next to the large island that stood in the middle of the room. I held in my excitement the best I could and snuck up behind her, hugging her waist. Fortunately, this didn't end with a hard punch in the face like I expected, but with a big bear hug in return.
"Hi, Kay! I missed you!" Kara exclaimed, a big smile plastered on her face.
"I was only gone a week!" I said, sarcastically, returning the smile.
"I know, but still." She replied, breaking the hug and greeting Alex.
I looked around trying to find Winn and found him in his usual spot, playing with his nerf gun. I figured if anyone could help me find Jake-if he was still alive- it would be him.
"Can I play?" I asked walking over to him, earning a small jump from Winn.
"Hey kiddo! I missed you." He said, putting the nerf gun down and giving me a hug. "Yeah, of course you can."
I picked up the gun and shot it into the open space ahead of his computer. I played some more, until I had to return the toy when work had started. I decided to wait until the end of the now rising action to ask about searching for Jake and took a seat in a nearby chair, eagerly hoping to possibly be a part of all of the action again.
*********
After a while, the bustling agents came to a halt and all that continued was the frequent return of Aunt Kara, who had been doing her daily crime fighting.
I got up, putting down my juice box and walking over to where Winn sat, attempting to learn yet another strange alien language in his spare time.
"Winn?" I asked, tapping his shoulder lightly.
"Oh, hi Kay! I was just trying to learn Martian!" He said awkwardly.
I laughed, before asking him the question I wanted to ask him in the first place.
"So, I was wondering if you could maybe help me find some information on an old friend of mine?"
"Yeah, sure. What's their name?" He asked, his focus returning to the keyboard in front of him.
"His name is Jake. Jacob Matthew Nolan." I said, watching as he typed the name of my former foster brother.
I could see he wanted to ask me about what had happened in the infirmary a week ago, but he ignored it and continued on with the search. I watched impatiently as the search loaded, hoping to receive the least bit of information. I prayed that when the screen loaded I wouldn't see a death date, as the only reason I was sent back to the orphanage was to help him get better.
Finally, the cryptic letters appeared on the screen, but it wasn't what I had expected. On the screen in big letters said:
NO RESULTS FOUND
I thanked Winn for the help and jumped down from his lap, returning to my seat.
********
Hours later, Mom and I left the DEO. The whole way home, I couldn't stop thinking about our fail attempt to find Jake.
I've decided to come to the conclusion that I wouldn't ever find him and I should probably stop searching. If he wanted me to find him, he would have contacted me by now.