The Mask

Tommy's POV

I woke up to blackness. 
My entire body was numb.
I couldn't feel anything.
I couldn't see anything.

And then the pain came.
It rushed into my body like a storm, washing out any comprehensive feeling and filling all my senses with an extreme, violent fury.  I howled, but the feeling of my mouth opening caused my face to contort in agony as the scars on my eyes moved.  Clamping my mouth shut, tears streaming down my mangled face, I trembled, wanting to call for help, but unable to.

My eyes were still sealed shut, and I couldn't open them.  I didn't even know where I was.

Maybe the bear had taken me to it's den.  Maybe it was standing only two inches away from my nose, waiting to devour me in a couple bites.

I snarled in response to that thought. I wouldn't go down that easily, even if I was blind and in horrible, mind-twisting agony.  I just had to keep fighting.

Because I was now still, and the blood pounding in my ears had subsided, I could actually hear something around me. It was ragged, musty breathing. It echoed around, like I actually was in a cave. Moving my hands around, I felt dirt under my fingertips, soft and moist. Exploring further away, I felt something strange. It was soft and smooth, and was raised a off the floor by a couple inches. I heard a small groan of annoyance as I did, and I yanked my hand back. I suddenly realized what that was.

That was a human arm.

Uni's POV.

I mumbled in protest as something brushed my arm. Sitting up, I rubbed my eyes. Blinking them open, I was a little bit confused for a moment, wondering why I was in a cave. 

Then, in a flash, I remembered everything. Franticly standing, I bumped my head on the low dirt ceiling.  My legs wobbled and I collapsed onto my hands and knees, not ready to support my new weight.

Turning my head, I saw the boy that I had saved.  He was sitting straight up, hands at his sides. His eyes were closed, but his mouth was twitching, like he wanted to say something. I crawled closer to him, only realizing now that I still had my wolf ears and tail. I flicked my ears and my tail swished around my back. A strand of my blue hair fell into my eyes. Brushing it away, I sat next to the boy.

He kept facing forward, blindly staring, but seemed to flinch away from me, uneasy.

"It's ok," I said. "I'm a friend."

He visibly relaxed.  The scars on his face contorted as he tried to open his mouth, but he stopped and hissed through his teeth. He mumbled something through tight lips.

"Who are you?" he hissed.

I hesitated. Should I tell this stranger my name? It didn't look like he was going anywhere anytime soon, so I relented.

"My name's Uni, what's yours?" I asked.

His closed eyes started to widen in humor. "Uni?" he mocked. "What kind of name is that?"

I was starting to regret my decision. "Who's blindly lying in the dirt on the floor of a cave?" I snapped.

"I'm joking, chill out!" he raised his hands up in mock surrender, still facing forward.

We sat in silence for a moment

Well?" I asked.

"What?"

"Your name?"

"Oh. I'm Tommy."

"Oh, what kind of a name is that?" I mimicked. I've never been the best at comebacks.