Fight or Flight: Part 2

Dawn's POV

How did this happen? The thought spun through my head fervently, feeling the limp weight of Cory on my shoulder. He had taken a massive blow to the head, and we'd need some major repairs.

My neck was still smoking from where the girl had zapped me during the fight.

She had basically just danced around me, going from one place to another in the matter of a heartbeat. Eventually, she'd shoved me to the ground, pinning my arm against my back. Not even going invisible could help me escape her grasp. The only chance that I'd gotten was when Cory had thrown the knife, injuring her friend. Her concentration had wavered, allowing me to wriggle free. The fire had started to rage higher, and I stood with my back against the wall of the alleyway, keeping her in front of me. I was so busy keeping her at bay that I didn't realize that Cory was trapped.

When he screamed for help, I suddenly figured out the gravity of the situation. I was too panicked to go invisible, so I dodged to the side, trying to get past the girl and help Cory. She cut me off, no effort involved. So I tried a different tactic.

I managed to punch her in the face, knocking her sunglasses off. While she was reeling, I rushed towards the flames, trying to see a way in, but before I even got close, I felt a painful jolt run through my entire system. It brought me to my knees, and I trembled on the floor, feeling the electricity run through my body. I turned around slowly, and I gasped. The girl held her hand out in front of her, white sparks wrapped around it. I hadn't noticed as I had run past, but those sunglasses must have been hiding her eyes, just like Cory was using his hood. Her pupils were lightning-shaped slits. I tried to get up and keep running, but she opened her sparking fist and sent another bolt of electricity at me, keeping me down. I was helpless to do nothing except watch as the fire boy used some kind of magic and flung Cory into the wall. I rushed to get up, not caring if the girl shocked me again. Sprinting past the boy, who was standing still, I got to Cory's side, helping him to his feet.

"We've got to get out of here," I told him, starting to run. I felt Cory turn to look back at the fire boy. We disappeared into the crowd.

I only hoped that we'd be able to get back to our cave before they regrouped and continued chasing us. Our only thought was flight.