The date

Author's Note:

Hey, wattpad! If you are reading this story and enjoy it you can let me know by voting. I would love to know that people are enjoying this story. If not... updates might cease. Well, enjoy!

Emily xoxo

_____________________________________________________________________

“Uh, yeah, I’d love to go with you.” I said with a smile. A smile crossed his face.

“I’ll pick you up at 6:30 and then we’ll go to the Dingo.” He said.

“It’s a date then huh?” I asked a flutter of butterflies rushing through my stomach.

“Yeah, it is a date.  I’ll see you tonight?” He asked pushing a piece of hair out of my eyes. I nodded and headed down the stairs. Wow I never thought Dallas would ask me out, well I did tell him that I like him so he must like me too right? I thought questioning myself. Of course he likes you, Summer, he wouldn’t have asked you out if he didn’t like you. I told myself. I walked down the street and toward the house. I really should start looking for my own place to live, I can’t just keep taking away from Darry, he needs money to pay the bills. I thought. Then I would have to get a job and go to school at the same time. I thought. A place of my own would be nice but I don’t think that I would be able to afford it yet. I approached the house and opened the door; the scent of cooking meat hit me. Damn, the one night I go out. I thought shaking my head.

“Hey! Darry, what do you think about me getting a job?” I yelled into the kitchen. He appeared from the kitchen.

“I don’t know, Summer, only if you’re ready to, you still have to finish your senior year and then maybe it would be better for you to think about it then.” He said.

“Yeah, but you need the money now and I thought that I could save up so I can get a place of my own after I graduate this year.” I suggested.

“We’ll see. I think I want you to get used to going to school before you start working though, give it a few weeks, Summer, and then see how you feel.” He said. “You don’t have to rush into anything, you just got here a few days ago.” He said.

“Yeah, I know but when do I start school?” I asked.

“In a few days, they will call me with your schedule and I’ll let them know if you’ll be going to school the next day, so soon, don’t worry.” He said with a hopeful smile.

“Well, I wish they’d hurry up and call already I think that I’m ready to start school.” I complained.

“Oh, don’t worry, once you start, you’ll wish you never started.” Darry said. I shrugged.

“I’m going out tonight, if that’s ok with you.” I said running a hand through my hair.

“Where are you going?” Darry asked.

“The Dingo.” I said.

“With who?” He asked.

“Dallas.” I said, hoping that he would let me go.

“As long as he treats you right, it’s not a problem with me.” He said shrugging. “But no funny business, all right, I don’t need you getting pregnant.” Darry said in a warning tone.

“Sure.” I said with an innocent look in my eyes, which used to work on my Dad all the time. A flood of my memories came rushing up to the surface. I pushed them back down and forced a smile on my face. “What are you cooking, Darry?” I asked.

“Just some chicken and mashed potatoes and some green beans.” He said shrugging.

“Sounds yummy, you better save me some.” I said with a smile. He nodded and walked back into the kitchen. “I’m taking a shower!” I yelled and bolted up the stairs. I grabbed some clean clothes from my room and then walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower. I sat on the toilet seat and cried my heart out. Even though my mom didn’t love me, I guess I still miss being home for some reason. I really miss the way it used to be when my dad still gave a shit about me and my mom. I don’t know why things have to change, why can’t things just stay the same for a little while? I thought. I took a deep breath and tried to stop crying.  I stood up and undressed and got in the shower. I let the warm water wash away all of the tension in my body. I stopped crying and felt exhausted. I don’t even feel like going on the date with Dallas anymore. I thought, as I stepped out of the shower. I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a white towel around my body and dried up and then wrapped my hair in the towel. I got dressed into a turquoise dress that went up to my mid-thigh that I had from two years ago when I went to a dance at my old high school. I applied some eyeliner and then let my hair out from the tight wrap I had it in. I brushed through my hair and then let my natural curls dry. I walked into my room. “What time is it?” I yelled down the stairs.