~twenty one~

Riley's POV

Meredith, George, Izzie, and I sit around a table at Joes bar, eating peanuts and drinking. I take a swig of my cup as George throws peanut shells into our pile.

"When I left, Christina said she was okay." George shrugs

"Nobody goes through what she went through and is totally over it by now." Izzie rolls her eyes, moving her straw around in her drink.

"Christina can" I agree

"She's fine" Meredith adds for her best friend.

Izzie shakes her head, "Too fine. She's cold."

"No, she's hardcore. She's got ice in her veins. She does what she has to do to get through." George drinks his beer.

"She lost a baby. She lost a Fallopian tube and she's acting like she doesn't even care. She's all "hello, I'm totally fine" person." Izzie waves her hands around, "I mean, she's my friend too, but she's acting like she has no emotions or warmth, like she's missing a soul"

"God, she's gonna make a great surgeon" George smiles

"George!" Izzie scolds him

"He's right, you show no weakness, you make it to the top" I shrug my shoulders, glancing to my boyfriend. He gives me a wink.

"Some people just keep their feelings to themselves." Meredith says, then averts her eyes to the door. Derek Shepherd walks in, moving to the bar. He sits by Doctor Bailey.

I look to Meredith and raise my eyebrows, but she just rolls her eyes. I don't blame her, Derek did her dirty. But that's not going to stop me from learning his excellence. Derek Shepherd is a Neuro God.

I pick up my drink, guzzle it down, then slam it on the table, "Can I have one more, please!"

~~

"I want everyone focused today. With Christina out, we're short an intern and I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those days. And Karev, see the chief by the end of the day" Bailey shouts orders as we follow quickly behind her.

"What for?" Alex grunts, walking side by side with Bailey

"Do I look psychic to you? He's the chief, he asked you, go." Bailey gets aggravated

I look to George, "What did he do now?"

"Maybe he gave the chief syphilis." George chuckles. I smirk, lightly shoving his shoulder.

The five interns and Bailey march down the hallway, on our way to the first patient of rounds.

"This is Dr.Burkes patient, Kalpana Vera" Izzie introduces, squinting her eyes at the chart

"Kalpana" The patient corrects Izzie, who pronounced her name wrong, "Named by villagers in Nepal."

I raise my eyebrows, impressed, as Izzie continues, "Uh, she presents with multiple syncopal episodes and ventricular arrhythmia."

"So you've been passing out?" Bailey asks her. The patient nods

"Past medical history of rheumatic heart disease with mitral valve stenosis."

"They had to ship me from Zambia to the states for three months of treatment when I was eight. Rheumatic fever almost killed me." The patient nods. I think she's trying to make us feel either sorry, or impressed with her achievements