Chapter 23 - Last First

Nate's POV

While the boys get all carried away with all that drinking, I decided that it's my time to finally be with Reg for the last time. The last time I spend time with her being mine.

I just hope it goes the way I wanted though. I'm afraid she'll back away but I still want to do this. Austin told me about what happened last night and I felt really embarrassed that she heard clearly at what I told her.

I saw her go upstairs to me and Austin's room so I followed her. I looked back at the lads. They're having fun. I really want to join but I have to make the most of this.

I peeked into the room and saw her by the window and staring at a distance. I quietly went in and placed my hands on her waist that made her jerk up. When she finally realised my pressence, she placed her hands on top of mine and I placed my chin on her head.

Silence.

"I miss hugging you." I finally spoke up breaking the calm silence we just had.

"I'm going to miss you." She said but her voice was breaking.

I spinned her around to have a better look at her. She looked at me directly in the eyes and I can see the sadness present in it.

She hugged me real tight then I can feel her sobbing quietly on my chest. I hugged her back and comforted her.

"I'll miss you too." I said to her. "I'm really sorry again that I hid this from you for almost a year. I was afraid that I'll never get to spend time with you like this but it'll eventually end up with me breaking you no matter how hard I try to hide it. You'll find out even if I don't tell you." I said and she nodded.

I placed a finger under her chin and made her look up at me. I wiped the visible tears on her eyes with my thumb and caressed her cheek.

"I'm gonna miss doing these things to you. I feel different when I'm around you. It feels like you bring out the best in me." I said and smiled weakly. "You know, tonight's the last time I'm gonna be holding you like this in my arms and I feel like I don't want to let go of you. I want this night longer." I said and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"I am such an idiot to have a girlffriend last year when I was courting you. I shouldn't have been so stupid." I said that made her chuckle.

"We can't change the past Nathan. Maybe there is a reason why you did that." She said that made me sigh.

"The perfect reason is because I'm not the right person for you and there is someone out there waiting. The perfect guy. The one for you." I said with a hint of pain. That's the exact reason why.

"You seem quite tired already. Why don't we lay down on my bed." I said and carried her bridal style which didn't surprise her because she got used to it with me doing that often.

I placed her gently at my bed. I took off my top and changed it into one of my hoodies. I grabbed another one and went on the other side of the bed. I gave her one of my favourite hoodies and she wore it. I snuggled close to her and she automatically placed her head on my chest.

"I'm not gonna be used to it when you're not by my side whenever I wake up after tomorrow." I said and played with her hair.

She giggled. "We haven't seen each other for nearly 11 months, aren't you used to it?" She said and looked up at me.

I shook my head. "No, what I mean is whenever you're around. You'll be in a seperate room when you stay with us. I won't be able to cuddle you when we sleep. Oh and can we still continue being friends after this? I know it's gonna hurt me a lot being friendzoned but maybe I'll get used to it."

"Of course. We've always been friends from the start and I don't want that to fade away." She said and smiled weakly.

Before I start another convo with her, I nearly forgot what I really need to do. The reason why I didn't join the boys at beer pong.

I sat up and so did she. "Something wrong? The movement of your eyes changed." She asked.

"Um..... I just want this to be memorable to you." I said and she looked at me confused.

I cupped one side of her face to pull it closer to mine. I closed my eyes and kissed her lips for the first time in 11 months then I placed our foreheads together. It was only a quick kiss but it holds everything we had.

I opened my eyes and saw her turning slightly red with a surprised looked on her face. I know she didn't really expect that to happen.

"You're lips tasted like beer." She said out of nowhere which I didn't expect and we both laughed. "Even your breath smells like it."

"I want that to be our first and last, and I'm sorry if it tasted like beer. I think I had three cups." I said and we laughed again. I held her in a tight embrace with a feeling that I don't want to let go of her.

My night has been made. I still don't want time to turn into tomorrow morning because she won't be mine when the sun finally rises.

- - -