Part 5

May 12

It's 4:10 in the morning and I'm just getting home from a most incredible night! I feel like Cinderella.  I'll fill in the details later, because I got to catch some shut eye so I'll be refreshed and ready to work on the plantation in the morning.

May 13

His name is Collin.  He is the source for my continued joy.  We met at the party the other night. 

The party was at a club in Century City.  There were a few interesting people there.  Kandi was disappointed because she told some guy to meet us there and he didn't show up.  Guess what?  He's from L.A.  Flake. 

Collin is from L.A. also, but he is like the antithesis of L.A.  He's brooding, he's cynical, he's so New York, it's amazing.  He's at USC's grad program studying to be a director.  Of course, he trashed the movie. He said the shots were oh-so-elementary and not at all innovative.  I thought the movie sucked.  It probably won't even crack the top five for weekend grosses.  None of the stars in the movie turned out for the party.  Guess they didn't want to be embarrassed.

Back to Collin...he looks like Michael Jordan without the height and with a goatee.  He's working on his thesis film.  He said he would let me read the script once he got to know me better. 

We had so much in common.  I felt this connection with him that I don't feel with most guys.  He was different.  I felt it in my bones that maybe, perhaps, he might be the one.  The right one for now anyway.  I'm on the fence about whether or not there is only one someone for everyone.  That whole soul mate thing.  Being the eternal optimist, I've often wondered if the yang to my yin was aborted at birth.  Or what if he was struck by lightning the day before we were supposed to meet? 

I mean, really, what is love and how much is chemistry a factor?  And how do you know if your love has an expiration date...what happens when you fall out of love with a person? But by that time it's too late cause your finances are all entwined and you have kids together.  I've seen it happen.  But I digress.

Fortunately, Collin and I hit it off right away.  Chemistry's not a problem.  There was this whole mutual attraction thing going on between us. Flirty banter that could easily lead to the walk of shame the next morning.  At one point, we danced to this slow groove and it was like there was no one else on that dance floor except us...cliché, I know.  Collin's hands felt like warm magnets on my back and I could feel myself being drawn to him.  I'm going to stop before I start sounding like a cloyingly annoying romance novel.  We're supposed to go blading at Venice Beach on Sunday after I drop Shawn off at the airport.

I found a couple of jobs to submit my headshot to from LA Casting.  Lots of non-union commercial work. At this point, I'll happily do background work as long as it's paying.

May 14

Grrr! I can't return this damn dress!!  Columbo was working the register and deduced the dress had been worn.  She wasn't trying to give a sister any breaks.  By the time I finish paying it off at $10 a month, that stupid dress will have cost me 10 dresses. Dreaded 19% interest rate.

Today there was serious drama at the office (can't believe I'm still there).  One of the partners of the production company lost his ever-loving mind and went off on his assistant.  That's one thing I will never get used to about this business...the way people at the drop of a dime will show such utter disrespect for one another.  He called her stupid, incompetent, and every other name in the book. 

Apparently, she had left a meeting off of his calendar and the person with whom he was supposed to meet called him and went ballistic.  Watching that whole thing made me feel so dirty.  I was embarrassed for the both of them.  Afterwards, that is after she went to the bathroom to cry for a half-hour, they both pretended like nothing happened. 

I've temped at talent agencies before where someone going off on you is as common as breathing.  I often thought they needed to start support groups for abused executive assistants.  I mean, it's the classical verbal abuse thing going on.  Whatever, I couldn't put up with it.  The minute someone goes off on me, I'm out. 

Here's my second rhetorical question for the week...if an actor performs and there's no audience to see her, is she still an actress?  Oops, look at the time, I have to run to the airport to pick up Shawn.  Luckily she's flying into Burbank, which is closer, smaller and doesn't have all of that traffic drama like LAX.