Part 8

May 25

I need more money.  Like yesterday.  I could be a waitress, but that's one job I really suck at. 

I think that freak Craig is stalking me!  I was walking inside my building and he just pops up out of nowhere asking me how come I haven't returned his calls.  I told him that I've been busy and then asked what was he doing on my doorstep?  How did he even know where I lived?

"Oh, I was just in the neighborhood and I saw you. Can I come in?"

  Needless to say, the answer was no. I should call Kandi and really thank her for setting me up with such a psycho loser.  That's it for me.  No more blind dates. 

Speaking of unreturned phone calls, I've left a few messages for Collin, but I haven't heard from him.  I wonder if he's blowing me off because I looked so pathetic the other night. 

Oh, as if I don't have enough problems in my life...I found this kitten.  It's so tiny.  It was in the alley on the side of my apartment building just howling away.  I couldn't leave it out there.  There are all types of dogs running around in my neighborhood.  I took it inside and gave it some water.  I guess I can spring a few pennies and pick up some cat food and milk.  Cats like milk, right?  Like I can afford another mouth to feed.  Well, hey, if cat food is good enough for senior citizens, well, when times gets hard(er), it'll be good enough for me.  She's all black with the tip of her right paw being snow white.  I named her Maddie off of Cybil Shepherd's character on Moonlighting.  I used to love that show.  The writing was excellent and Shepherd and Bruce Willis were hilarious together.  I heard they hated each other in real life.  Figures.  Nothing's real in this business; everything's a set piece.

May 27

Collin finally called me back today.  Said he had to go out of town on some type of emergency.  We're supposed to get together tomorrow night and check out a play a friend of his mounted. 

I spoke to Kandi and she's going to see if she can get me a meeting with her agent. 

I have to take drastic measures.  I'm not getting any younger and my career hasn't even sputtered off the ground.  I won't have to lie about my age, because  pretty soon no one will care.

There aren't that many roles for black actresses to begin with and if I don't hurry up, I'll get stuck playing "the best friend."  The one who can't get a date, never has a man and is always in somebody else's business. 

Why couldn't I have been born with the lawyer's bug, or the doctor's bug?  There's never any shortage of work for them.  Why is it that some people are born knowing that their life's work will be noble? Stuff like discovering the cure for cancer and walking on the moon.  No, I wanted to be an actor.  My greatest contribution to the world will be to lie convincingly on stage or in front of a camera.  Wow.

Oh, look at this, now Maddie wants to snuggle with me!  I'm kind of glad I found her.  It's nice to have that feeling that someone's depending on me.  Someone cares whether or not I get out of bed.  Although, those warm and cozy feelings fly out of the window at night when she's running around destroying stuff.

I saw this ad in Backstage today for a really interesting student film.  I sent my headshot in.  It doesn't pay, but at least I'll get to act...with my clothes on.  I got an audition for the independent film I sent my headshot in to.  I don't go into read until 6/2.  It's a cold reading.  I hate those.

May 28

Great news, Anita has to come out here on business next week and wants to stay with me.