Part 19

August 26

I'm in shock.  Truly.  At 9 a.m. I heard someone banging on my door.  I was up, but I wasn't dressed.  So I tiptoed to the little peephole and looked out.  I almost fainted when I saw my mother on my doorstep.  I opened the door and I just stared at her like she was a ghost or something.  Of course, she just brushed by me saying, "really child, I know I taught you better manners than that."

I'm not going to get all mushy or anything but Mommy said she came out to see my big opening in L.A.  It brought tears to my eyes.  Really.  

"I didn't know you cared," I told her.

"Adrienne, I may not agree with how you live your life, but you will always be my daughter and I will always love you."

So that was about the nicest thing she said to me, after that, she nagged me for the rest of the day.  My kitchen is now spotless and rearranged.  She insisted on walking to the little store on the corner and buying some cleaning products because she "can't stand a dirty bathroom."  I didn't stop her of course, because a housekeeper would have come in and charged me $50 to do the same thing my mother did.  If everything didn't come with such a long ass sermon/lecture then I would want to keep her around longer than the four days she's staying out for, as it stands now, four days will be just enough time to really drive each other crazy.

My neighborhood doesn't look that safe.  My parking space is too far from my apartment building, anything can happen to me.  I'm not going out at night am I?  I don't have any food in the refrigerator.  I don't look like I'm getting a decent meal.  I'm not throwing up after dinner am I? 

It just went on and on.  She and Anita are definitely cut from the same cloth.  I was so happy when Cynda came downstairs to retrieve the blouse I had borrowed from her.  I invited her out to dinner with us.  Anything for interference.  We all went to the California Pizza Kitchen by the Beverly Center.

Mommy didn't spare Cynda any sermons or lectures, she told her to be careful in the music industry.  "Watch out for those druggies and perverts."

I could see Cynda trying not to laugh.  I just looked the other way.

August 27

I can't even describe how I feel, well yes I can.  I am walking on top of the world right now.  Last night's performance was so charged.  It was incredible.  It was a sold-out house.  Q, Cynda, Mommy, Kandi, my agent, even Simon showed up.  Tyler and his mom showed up, Det. Ransom and his wife came.  My Dad sent me flowers, Anita left me a message telling me to break a leg (I think she meant it too-literally).

For the first time in two years, I felt alive, energized.  When I did the indie film a month or so ago, it wasn't the same.  Here, on stage, you're sucked into this other world.  For an hour or so, you really are your character.  We received two standing ovations. 

Even though it was a bit unorthodox, I asked for a moment of silence for Derek after the standing ovation.  I knew he would have wanted to be there.  In spirit, I felt him there. 

Afterwards, we all went out to dinner at my fave spot Manhattan Won Ton's.  It was about 15 of us including some of my castmates.  It was rowdy, it was boisterous and I was the belle of the court.  It was how I imagined all of my nights would be when I became famous.  We closed the restaurant down.  By the time we got home it was almost 1 a.m.  But it was just that type of night.  The only downer, I didn't lose my 10 lbs, I only got up to 8.

August 28

Just dropped Mommy off at the airport.  I love her, but it was definitely time for her to go.  Although, I think on this trip we had the chance to bond a little more.  Since Anita wasn't around for constant comparison, it was a lot easier for us to talk to one another.