Part 13

June 27

Q and I had brunch at this spot in Venice Beach.  He's curious about what went down between Collin and I, but I don't even want to talk about it.  He's been pretty cool about not bringing it up.

We were at the restaurant for at least two-and-a-half hours just sitting there talking and people watching.  Finally, we got up and ambled on over to the basketball courts and watched NBA-wannabes battle it out on the asphalt.  Venice is nothing but a freak show.  It was good to be out in the fresh air and around people, even if they were weird.

Q practiced my lines with me for my scene on Thursday.  They're shooting over in Santa Monica.  I play "the other woman" out on a date with the main character.  I get to be snarky...ohh, what a change of character for me.  The scene is very funny.  While we were running lines, Q and I dived into this whole big conversation about cheating and why people cheat.

His last girlfriend, Tamara, she slept with a friend of his.  This was two years ago and the pain still tinged his voice.  I've never cheated on a guy, could be because I've never been in a relationship long enough to cheat.  Although, I have been cheated on and I have been the other woman.  So maybe I'm desensitized about cheating. It is what it is.  Should a relationship end because of it?  Depends on what level of cheating was committed.  Am I morally bankrupt because I've knowingly been the other woman?  Maybe.  But at least I can admit it. 

Q invited me to his company picnic. It's at Magic Mountain next Saturday.  I love roller coasters, so I said I would go. Not like I had other plans.

June 28

This morning I went back to the clinic to get my test results.  All last night I twisted and turned thinking about what was going to happen.  How I would hunt Collin down like a rabid dog if the test was positive and how I would be celibate until I was married if it was negative.  The not knowing is just the worst part.  Of course my imagination just spun things out of control.  I wondered how I would tell Mommy. Could I tell her?  Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep.

Jerry strung out the suspense by giving me a long lecture before telling me my results.  He also recommended (again) that I see a therapist.  Thankfully, they came out negative.  Although I was told to come back in for another test in six months, just to be on the safe side.  Safe side.  I was just taking the test in the first place to be on the safe side, now it sounds like I may actually have something to worry about.

Why is life so complicated?  Whatever happened to the boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, they get married and live happily ever after paradigm?

Anyway, it was a long afternoon of deliberations.  We have to go back tomorrow.  I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea of judging someone.  My vote will either send a man to prison or set him free.  That's pretty heavy-duty stuff for someone who routinely has a problem deciding on everything from what to wear to what to eat. 

There were two people on the jury who didn't partake in any of the discussions. It was like they had their minds already made up.  Simon was chosen as foreman.  He had experience on prior cases while the rest of us were just newbies.  He was good.  He kept things moving and organized the discussions in such a way that they were helpful.

We had lunch again.  This time we talked about the weekend grosses and the movies that were coming out.  His favorite movie is Citizen Kane...don't ask.  My four all time faves: City of Angels, Sparkle, The Usual Suspects and Shawshank Redemption.  I also liked The Player.

I told him about my upcoming stint in the movie.  He was fairly receptive about receiving my headshot.  He asked if I had a reel, which I don't.   When I was back East, all I did was theater.