10

"THIS HOUSE NO LONGER FEELS LIKE HOME"

PART TEN

PART TEN

"mom?" monica's mouth dropped open in shock as the lady stood in front of her, looking at the girl with admirable eyes.

"monica?" monty came through the open doorway, adjusting his snapback on his head. his eyes flickered to the blonde woman standing in their living room. "mom?"

"rebecca, who's home?" a man came around the corner, discarding his glasses as he took a look at his two children standing in front of him.

"dad?" the twins said in unison.

"hi, kids!" the man gushed, pulling his children into a big hug. montgomery shoved his dad away from him.

"montgomery!" the woman yelled. "that is no way to treat your father!"

"why are you two even here?" monica questioned, folding her arms across her chest.

"we came to check on the house," her father stated, "see how you two were doing."

"we're fine, david," montgomery glared at his dad, "please leave, we don't want you here."

"montgomery de la cruz!" his father shouted, grabbing hold of his arm, "you don't tell us what to do. we're your parents. you obey us."

montgomery elbowed his dad in the nose, the man yelling in pain, "fuck."

"i can't do this, i'm- i'm going to bed," monica huffed out a sigh and walked over to the stairs.

"i'll tuck you in honey!" rebecca yelled.

"i'm not five anymore, rebecca."

~
monica crawled under her duvet and laid her head on the pillow.

her mother approached, turning monica's bedside lamp on. monica flinched and fluttered her eyes open. she closed her eyes, hoping her poor excuse for a mother would just go away. leave her alone.

"monica i know you're awake." rebecca watched as her daughter groaned and sat up in bed.

"what do you want?"

"why are you and montgomery so mad at your father and i?"

"you two left us to fend for ourselves!" monica scoffed, "i have a job interview on sunday because of this shit-"

"we pay the bills, mo, we live here too, you know."

"then where the hell were you the past year?" monica was furious, "if you lived here you wouldn't just leave us for a year to go party it up in the bahamas!"

"you know what," rebecca stood up and pointed an accusing finger at her daughter. "you both were a mistake. god i wish i never came back here."

rebecca left with a bang of the door, not even an "i love you" or a "goodbye". monica sat there, her hair in her face as the tears welled up in her eyes.

they were a mistake. a drunken mistake. monica felt her world almost coning down. her own mother, a woman that she looked up to when she was a kid didn't even want her.

monica screamed into her pillow and finally fell asleep as her throat burned.

3:37 a.m. her phone screen blurred into her eyes and she awoke from a nightmare. she sighed and ran a hand down her braids and stood from her bed.

she walked down the hall, walking through a door to her brother's room. the walls were gray but reflected the moonlight as it shone through the edges of the blinds.

the girl moved to her brother's bed and shook him, waiting for his eyes to pop open. finally he made a sound and monica asked, "can i sleep with you, monty?"

"what's wrong?" his voice was deep, eyes still closed.

"everything," she whispered, watching him scoot over. she climbed under his covers and curled up next to him.

"it'll be okay, mo." he mumbled, yawning. "we don't need those shit heads, we do fine on our own."

monica giggled, "i guess."

"goodnight, sis."

"goodnight monty."

~

tomorrow we return to your regilarly scheduled programming! stay tuned!
💖😬