CHAPTER 8

Percy moved his head and the spear missed him by centimeters. He pulled up Riptide, cutting the ropes holding him and breaking free.

Percy tried to grab the spear, but the moment he touched it, the spear disappeared into ashes.

"You cannot use what is not yours Perseus." came Athena's voice. Percy turned around and saw that she had disappeared into the field of spears in front of him.

Percy is on gaurd as he entered the field. As he took each step in, he felt something inside him. Something was telling him to get out of there. But before he could figure it all out, Athena's voice rung out again, "Lesson number one, never let the opponent choose the battlefield!"

Percy ducked and rolled away from the spot he was at, just in time to avoid Athena from stabbing him with a spear.

Percy turned and swung down Riptide. Athena dodged the attack, she then parried each strike of Percy's with her spear.

"You should give up Athena, even Ares didn't win against me in close contact."

Athena smirked, "Ares also lost to me with this spear during the last time we fought."

Percy gritted his teeth and continued the attack. He was slowly pushing Athena back, and the only reason he still had a head was because of his survival instincts.

"Enough of this!" cried Athena. She kicked Percy in the ribs and jumped, landing on one of the spears. Balancing like a cat Athena stood straight and started attacking Percy from above.

It was like fighting an enemy that could attack him with ease. The only problem is that Percy couldn't even touch her. Athena started jumping from one spear to another, all the while thrusting her weapon at Percy.

Suddenly, Percy remembered something Athena said, 'I can't use something I don't have.'

Percy reached out and touched the spear Athena was standing on. After a moment praying to some god out there that his plan would work, the spear disappeared. Athena saw this and jumped away. The chase was on.

Percy kept touching the spears and Athena kept jumping away. Just as she landed on her fifth spear, Percy was already there waiting for her. He reached out and grabbed the spear, and before Athena could get jump, she fell down on the ground.

As Athena was getting up Percy held Riptide at her throat, "Stay down, Athena."

Athena smiled for she knew something Percy did not. The ground was uneven from when Athena struck the ground with her many spears, and Percy was standing right behind a raised platform. So Athena kicked Percy and when the teen took a step back, he tripped.

Athena sprung up onto her spears, she grabbed the closest one and jumped again. She pointed the edge of the spear at Percy as she came down with the weight of knowledge.

Percy saw her jump, but just as he was about to roll away he thought of something.

During their fight, Athena had been giving him clues. Clues to win. She told him about how the spears disappeared, so maybe she had helped him out before.

'What did she say that I have to do to win?' wondered Percy, 'To accept knowledge, so that means...'

And so Percy didn't move as the spear got closer and closer down. No one could stop what was about to happen now. Not Athena, not Percy or any other god. Just as the spear almost pierced him, Percy closed his eyes and prayed to a random god that this would work.

The spear cut through Percy and Athena stood over the demigod. She looked down at him, her gray eyes narrowed.

She smiled.