Chapter 1: First Impressions

(🔘 Nicholas's POV)

"Vanilla bean frappe with heavy caramel drizzle please," I cheered lightly once I reached the Starbucks counter.

Starbucks was a must in the early morning before my classes began. I usually don't have the money to purchase any thing, but since my first pay check just rolled around I was enjoying every last bit of it. I worked at St.Claires Bookshop in Pengenten,Chicago the city I grew up in and presently live in. It was a pretty small town for the most part, but the drama in this city made it seem much larger.          
      Last summer, I was just randomly walking to one of my afternoon classes and I heard two college girls fighting. There was a big crowd gathered around and once security got around to it everyone that watched had their scholarship revoked. I was smart unlike the rest who decided to watch up close. Instead of walking directly to the fight, I walked to the street across from it and sat at a picnic table with my mac book pro.

    I currently attend Riddendale, Home of the Ravens, and I'm studying journalism and mass communications. My major wasn't really that deep rooted, so I found ample time for my studies and fun as well.

"Nich? Vanilla Bean Frappe with heavy caramel drizzle," yells the chinky Starbucks worker.

"Yes, that's me thank you so much," I reply.

I immediately begin to sip my large Vanilla Bean Frappe and read over my notes about tips on interviews. Later on this week my professor plans to take me into the city to interview some upcoming people in preparation for my career path. So, I found it very appropriate to look over everything once more before going on the trip. Although I preferred the writing side of journalism more than I did the talking side of it, I appreciated every last bit of my college major. Besides, I don't have to stress much about core classes due to the fact Riddendale offers a direct way for me to only take classes dealing with my major.

I continue to drink and flip pages in between sips until the bell of the front door rings. Two beautiful girls, about mid-twenties I'm assuming, walk in and sit at the table directly across from me. I immediately notice one of the two as my friend Johnni.

"Johnni? Hey how're you?" I ask once she is seated.

"Oh my gosh! Hey Nich, oh my what brings you here?" Johnni says back.

"Just about to head out actually I was just passing through for some caffeine," I say with happiness.

"Well why don't you say hello to my friend, your new found friend, Khyairee!" Replies Johnni while pointing to the cute brown skin girl next to her.

"Hi I'm Nicholas, but everyone calls me Nich," I say shaking Khyairee's hand.

"I'm Khyairee I actually just transferred to Chicago to finish off my Junior and Senior years of college at Riddendale," says Khyairee.

   "Well, welcome to Chicago Khyairee. Have you been on the campus yet?" I ask quizzically.

   "Yes. Johnni here took me on a little tour about a half hour ago," Khyairee cheers.

   "Well it was nice meeting you, but I have to head to class," I remind myself, Johnni, and Khyairee. "Maybe we can meet up for dinner later?"

"That sounds great actually," says Khyairee. "Thanks for the offer."

I give Khyairee and Johnni hugs and head for the door. The time is 10:00Am, and my first class begins at 10:35Am. I quickly pull out my phone, click the app Uber, and look for available drivers near me. I thought for a second that maybe it was just weird that I was one of the teens that had not been driving. Everyone had their license, and if they didn't their parents drove them everywhere; I couldn't relate. I was scared of cabs, and the city buses were pretty much off the list. So, I was stuck with an Uber.