Chapter 7: Game On

(Johnni's POV🔴)

  "Hey there why the long face?"

I was sitting in an Uber on my way to my mediocre apartment when I heard the driver speak to me.

    "Huh?" I ask.

  "You look so beaten up what seems to be the problem?" Replies the Uber driver.

  I take a pause and try to make up something to tell him.

   "Oh no, I'm doing well," I then say.

   "That's good to hear! You attend Riddendale, a school of so many ups, but yet so many downs," explains the Uber driver.

    "I couldn't agree with you more. But what do you know about Riddendale anyway?" I ask quizzically.

    "I graduated from Riddendale awhile back. Got a degree in law, did the whole nine with law school and all then became a lawyer," the driver says.  "Worked one of my first cases, and shortly after decided it just wasn't for me. Almost three years down the drain."

   "What made you give up on being a lawyer?" I ask, I was interested in hearing this story now.

    "Chicago is home to some of the most gruesome, twisted crime you'll ever see. Some people have the stomach for it and some don't. As you can see I was one of the ones who didn't make the cut," the driver then concludes.

   "Wow," I say astonished.

I guess that really had to suck for this guy. He went to college for about five years to earn a degree in what he thought was his dream, attended law school shortly after, and then realized that after working as a lawyer it wasn't for him. Now, this guy was an Uber driver who drives people around for outrageous prices.

     The ride to my apartment finally came to an end. I gave the driver a smile and quickly exited the vehicle without any words.
As I approached my apartment door, I realized that Khyairee had not yet been by. I assumed that maybe she was just picking up the rest of my work and would be home soon.

  "Gosh I'm kind of hungry," I say aloud to myself. I walk to my fridge and try to find something to satisfy my hunger, but my fridge appears to be empty.

   I rack my mind for some options and come to the conclusion that I want Chinese.

(Nicholas's POV🔘)

I hadn't fully grasped the reality that I had just been suspended from school for four days. It's not like I was being suspended from high school where school was free, but I was being suspended from a top notch university where I was paying money to get my education.
I prod around the school's campus for a little while and decide that I need some caffeine to put things into perspective, but I catch sight of Khyairee talking to Mr.Dale aka the Uber freak.

  I try to get a closer look of  Khyairee speaking to that maniac, but if I was to get any closer I would be seen.

   "I can't lie to my friends Unc," says Khyairee scarily.

   "Unc? Lie to her friends? Why would he want her to do that? What was this guy playing at?" I  whisper to myself.

  I continue to listen in on the conversation scared of what I might hear next. I then watch Mr.Dale pull Khyairee by the collar and whisper something into her ear. I want to jump out and attack him for putting his hands on her, but it's best I absorb this information and make use of it later.

(Khyairee's POV🔵)

"I need information on your friend Nicholas anything you can give me will work," my Uncle Dale says.

    "I'm sorry? Has he done something wrong? Should we go to the office about this?" I ask all at once.

    "Let's just say you're closely connected with a person of interest," he then says.

   "I'm not sure I'd like to continue this conversation any longer Uncle," I say as I get out of my seat and begin to exit the room.

    "Khyairee don't walk out that door I'm not finished with you," Dale says angrily.

  I quickly leave the room in a hurried walk and head towards the exit.

   "What in the hell does he want with Nicholas?" I ask myself.

  When I make it outside, the campus seems to be nearly empty, students seemed to have already left the campus or present in class.

   "Khyairee we need to discuss this it is a very serious matter," I hear Uncle Dale say from behind me.

    "You're a psycho if you think I'm going to go around fishing out things about my friend," I say directly to his face.

  "I need you to lower your voice Khya darling, I'm afraid we got off on the wrong foot."

    "Whatever I'm telling Nich ! I can't believe you'd do this to him," I say on the verge of tears.

   "You will say nothing! You will lie to your friends about whatever you are told from this point on," he then says.

   "I can't lie to my friends Unc," I then say scarily.

   "Come close darling," Uncle Dale says while pulling me by my collar and whispering in my ear.  "Your friends, Johnni included, have done nothing but lie to you. In my opinion, they both have nothing to offer you but more lies. Who's to say they aren't just telling you lies just to get the truth out of you? Take me up on my offer and bring me what you can about Nicholas, for there will be great rewards once we figure out his truth. As for Johnni, continue being her friend and sooner or later I'll have unlocked every little secret for you to enjoy of hers."

I take in what my Uncle is saying to me not knowing what to do. I've always trusted Johnni, but I would never expect Nicholas to tell me the truth. What do I owe him anyway? I know that Johnni hasn't been telling me the full truth about her life, and unbelievably I was interested in my Uncle's offer to find out just what the truth was.

     "I'm in," I whisper to my Uncle.  "But only under one condition, I get a spot in your little Uber business, and we play by my rules."

    "Oh make your demands later darling, but for now I need you to persuade your friends that I am to be trusted. The closer bond I make with the both of them the better! I'll soon be back on the road and I'll be collecting things for you to know," Uncle Dale then says.  "This Uber business I have going on, is no rookie job. I drive people around regularly but the minute I'm alone with Johnni or Nicholas I'll be sure to dry them out for whatever I can get."

     "Game on," I say. "And one last thing Unc, no one gets hurt."

     "No one gets hurt?" He asks.

  "Yet. No one get hurts YET," I say quietly.