Chapter 3: New Discoveries

(Khyairee's POV🔵)

"Well I've had a good time Malik," I say once I've finished scarfing down the rest of my martini.

"I did too, when will you be available for another date?" Malik asks.

"That all depends on how my schedule looks," I say while laughing.

"Ight, well shoot me a text let me know what's up girl."

  I hug Malik one last time before he walks out of the restaurant and check my phone for messages.

   "Wow! No texts from Johnni nor Nich," I say aloud.

Johnni had left the dinner a little earlier for reasons I didn't know, and Nicholas had basically done the same. I told them both I was okay with them leaving, but now that Malik was gone I actually felt kind of alone.
I was new to Chicago and as a new comer I kind of felt unwanted.

I decided to leave the restaurant after about ten minutes of deep thought, and find an Uber to take me to Johnni's. After scrolling for about what seemed like forever, I found a driver that was only two minutes away. I quickly requested the male driver and paid my fee shortly after.

"Hello beautiful, how're you," says the male driver once I enter the Uber. He is driving a red Lexus with squeaky clean rims and a crack in the front windshield.

"I am fine sir, how're you?"

"Wonderful, wonderful," he then says.

I pull out my phone and go through old messages to pass time as my ride to Johnni's has now began. As I open a message from Malik, I quickly realize who my Uber driver is.

"Dale? Dale Stuart? Is that you?" I ask completely shocked and surprised.

"Khyairee, I knew I recognized you," says Dale Stuart.

Dale was my Dads brother which made him my uncle. I had known Dale for about 15 years and I knew that he lived in Chicago. I had also been told that Dale was a new teacher at some university in Chicago.

"You teach Chemistry at Riddendale don't you?" I ask.

  "Actually I do,  I started two semesters ago," he then says.

  "Wow, maybe this really is a small town," I say aloud.

"I guess you could say that," he says awkwardly.

I feel the urge to question him further, but I already feel weirded out. My uncle is an Uber driver and just so happens to be a Chemistry teacher also. So instead of asking more questions, I sit back and enjoy the rest of the ride.

Ten minutes pass and I begin to see Johnni's apartment come into view. I grab my purse and phone and try to exit the car, but the door is locked.

  "They can't know that you know me," Dale says.

   "Who is they? And what are you talking about?" I ask feeling ambushed.

  "Your friends or anyone for that matter. This is a secret that me and you have to keep," he says once he sees how upset I am.

    "For what reason must I keep this a secret?" I then ask feeling confused.

"It's what's best. Just respect what I have asked of  you please."