Chapter 36

AMELIAS POV
I stayed at Mer's. I've been lying in bed for an hour. I can't sleep. I didn't realize how happy Owen has made me. I was messed up before, with Ryan. We did drugs, I wasn't happy. Owen has made me so much happier. I don't want to go down that road again. Someone opened the door. I rolled over. It was Maggie.
"Hey," she said.
"Hi," I said sitting up.
"Can't sleep?" She asked sitting next to me.
"Nope," I said, "I'm just so worried."
"He's going to do everything he can to stay alive and you know that," she said.
"I know," I said. Meredith walked in.
"Hey," we both said. She came and laid down.
"Kepner is a mess," she said.
"Met the new chief?" I laughed.
"Kepner's chief?" Maggie asked.
"Oh yeah," I said.
"She's gonna be so frantic," Maggie said.
"That's what I said," I laughed, "she does a good job when she means it though."
"Solid point," Meredith said.
"When do you go back to work?" Maggie asked.
"I'm supposed to go tomorrow," I said.
"Work will get your mind off things," Meredith said.
"I hope," I said.
"You gonna be able to sleep tonight?" Maggie asked.
"No," I said.
"Honey you need sleep," Meredith said.
"I'll try," I said.
"Okay," they both said.
-
I shut the light off and pulled the covers over me. I stared into the darkness. The bed isn't the same without him. I rolled over to the other side of the bed. I felt my phone buzz. I searched under the covers for my phone. I found it and turned the brightness down.
M-Maggie
A-Amelia

M: still up?
A: yeah... :(
M: there's ice cream downstairs if you want
A: I'll be down in five

I threw on one of Owen's sweatshirts that I took and walked downstairs.
"Hey," Maggie said.
"Hi," I said. I looked over at the clock. It was 3am.
"Gosh it's 3?" I said.
"Yup," she said, "I have to go to work soon."
"Me too," I sat down. I grabbed a spoon and ate ice cream with her. She smiled at me.
"Glad you are cheering up a bit," she said.
"Me too," I said. We watched TV for a bit. I'm so lucky to have her and Meredith as sisters.
-
"Amelia," Maggie said shaking me, "get up."
"Fine," I got up and changed for work. I was so tired. Hopefully work will get my mind off stuff. I walked downstairs and Meredith was in the kitchen. I made coffee and sat at the counter.
"Did you sleep?" Mer asked.
"Sorta," I said.
"When do you have to be at work?" She asked.
"I don't know," I laughed, "I have a doctor's appointment at 12."
"Okay," she said.
"Mer?" I said.
"Yeah?" She said.
"I don't really want to go to the appointment alone will you go with me if you're not busy?" I asked.
"Of course I will," she said.
-
My doctors appointment went well and I had a few surgeries. I had a brain tumor next. I went into scrub.
"Hey, how are you doing?" Stephanie asked.
"Um, I'm alright," I said.
"Okay," she said. We scrubbed and got right to work. It was a really complicated tumor. Edwards and I did our best efforts, but we couldn't get the whole tumor. The patient was still alive. I let Edwards close up and we scrubbed out.
"Hey Shepherd," Nathan said. I turned around.
"Hey," I said.
"How you holding up?" He asked catching up to me.
"Honestly?" I said.
"Honestly," he said.
"I'm falling apart," I said and walked away. He walked after me.
"Shepherd," he said.
"You don't know how I feel," I said.
"He's my best friend even if he doesn't want me to be," he said. I stopped.
"Deep down he loves you," I said.
"Yeah right," he laughed.
"I'm serious," I laughed and hit his arm. We turned the corner into the cafeteria. Meredith and Maggie were sitting at a table. We pulled up chairs.
"How's the day back going?" Maggie asked.
"It's alright," I said, "baby's good."
"That's good," she said.
"Yup," I said.
OWENS POV
We set up camp today. It's been so long since I've been on a battle field. I miss Amelia so much. I barely slept last night. We were told we could write to relatives in a few days and they will be able to write back. I haven't had to kill yet, thank god. The thought of taking human life hurts me. I had such bad PTSD from last time and I'm afraid it will come back again. Gosh I just miss Amelia so much and I want her. I can't image how she's coping with this.