Chapter Five

(Heather's POV)

I did absolutly nothing today. I didn't feel as if I should. A lot has been on my mind lately. Mainly about Haze. I wanted her to make friend and maybe even find a boyfriend, nothing serious obviously, but I don't want her getting hurt. I've been hurt a lot, and it's not a good feeling.

"Heather!" I jumped out of my trance, and turned around. Standing behind me was a giggling Ryan.

"You scared the shit out of me." I simply stated.

"Sorry. Hey, what are you and Haze doing today?" 

"Just chilling here I suppose. Why? I thought you wanted to come over just to hang out and eat my food."

"Nah. I want to take you guys to dinner or something." He shrugged, like it was no big deal. I rolled my eyes and looked at the time. 3:37. Fuck! I have to go get my daughter! 

Without saying another word, I grabbed my keys and raced to my car faster than she did this morning. I got in, started it, and went as fast as I could to the middle school. As I expected, she was sitting there on the curb, looking slightly irritated. One thing I didn't expect though is there was a boy sitting next to her. Confused, I pulled up next to them. 

"Is it cool if Derrek comes over? We have a Home Ec. project we need to do together, and our kitchen is huge so, I thought it would be a good idea." She said as she opened the door. I had no problem with it. I nodded. Her eyes lit up and she got in. Uh oh. This Derrek individual shyly opened the door and got in. He was silent the whole way home. I guess we was pretty shy around parents? Whatever, Skylar was the same way when she met my mother.

Skylar. 

I shook the thought of her out of my head as we pulled up to the house. I looked at Derrek in the rear-view mirror, and his eyes were wide, and his jaw dropped. Well then. I parked the car, and got out with Haze. Her friend was still sitting there, so she opened the door and practically dragged him out of the car and into the house.

As soon as we all walked in, his eyes went even wider. If that was possible.

"What's wrong?" She asked him.

"Nothing. I--I just didn't expect this. Most wealthy people at school are total jerks." He quietly responded.

"Am I a jerk?" She asked, giving him her signature I'm-a-good-person look. Pretty much the puppy dog face, but cuter and more innocent.

"No, of course not. That's why I'm surprised." She just laughed and took his hand. I'm assuming to show him around. That is until Ryan stepped in front of them.

"Hi, Ryan." Haze stated. He said nothing to her. He just glarred at Derrek. He went completely pale.

"Are you dating my neice?" He asked, in one of the most serious tones I've ever heard out of him.

"N--no. We just met today." Derrek stuttered.

"Ryan, please. We have a Home Ec. project, and I would love to show him around the house and get it done." Ryan looked at her, then to me. It seemed as if Haze didn't like Ryan much. Ever since she was little.

"I don't think we can go eat with them alone."

"They won't be alone. Lilly is here. Plus, I trust my daughter. Let's go." I responded. He shot the kid a look again, and we walked out of the house. What the hell.

-----

"Have you ever noticed that Hazelyne doesn't seem to like me much?" Ryan asked as we were sitting at the reasturant, waiting for our food.

"Yeah, I don't understand why."

"I don't either. I've never done anything."

"I know. She's cautious around a lot of people though if she feels they have done bad things to anyone. She's a good judge of character, and for some reason just knows that kind of stuff. I'm surprised she hasn't asked if she's adopted or something, since she and I look nothing alike." I put my head down. I didn't want to think about this shit! Dammit!

"Hey, Heather. It's okay. How about after this we go to Mom and Dad's and just hang out there. Play some X-Box and have a good time." I smiled. He knows what I like. I nodded.

Suddenly, my phone rang. It was Lilly's cell number. Shit.

"Hello?" I quickly answered, mainly to avoid whatever looks these individulas would give me.

"Hey mom." It was Haze. I should probably get her a phone soon.

"Hey Sweetie. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Derrek's mom can't come get him tonight, so is it alright if he spends the night and we take him to school tomorrow? He'll sleep in the guest room of course."

"Yeah, I don't have a problem with it as long as his mother knows. And I'm going to be home late tonight, Okay?"

"Okay. Love you!" 

"Love you too." With that, she hung up. She sounded like she really meant what was being said, so I have no reason to not trust her. 

Ryan didn't question anything, and our food eventually showed up. Thank god. We ate, paid, and headed to our parent's house. This was going to be a great night.