Chapter Twenty-Four

(Heather's POV)

I've been sitting here for the last hour, trying to figure out what to say to Haze. I'm pretty sure I've said everything I already could, but I kept overthinking things. I feel I need to say more, but I don't know what. I know I should probably talk to Zane, and we should work something out regarding where she stays, and when. That should be after she and I work things out.

I still can't help but hate how I went about this. 

I hate that I went against Sky's wishes the most. None of this would of happened if I had just listened to what she wanted me to do in the first place.

So, while sitting here, debating on what to do, I figured I'd do what most parents wouldn't think of doing. 

I dialed her boyfriends number. 

It rang twice, before he picked up. 

"Hello?" He answered.

"Hey, Derrek. It's Heather, Haze's mom."

"Oh. Hi." He sounded really confused.

"I need your help. Are you with her right now?"

"No. My mom wanted me home today. What do you need help with?"

"With getting her to not hate me." He sighed at that.

"All I can tell you, is I know she loves you. She's hurt beyond belief that something like that was hidden from her for so long, but she does love you. My advice, would be to text her and ask to talk to her. Ease into things. You raised her. You know how she is." I was a little shocked at his response, to be honest.

"You really care about her, don't you?" 

"More than you know. She made me forget what hating myself was like. You raised an amazing person. I'm beyond thankful to have her in my life."

"Thank you, Derrek. I'll talk to you later. Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

We both hung up. Now I needed to think. Again. 

He was right though. She'd need time to process everything. It was a lot to take in. Especially with how she found out.  However, taking all this in, I decided it'd be best to wait until tomorrow to try to get a hold of her. Especially if she wasn't with Derrek. He seemed to make her happy.

So, with that, I poured myself a glass of wine, sat on the couch, and started watching TV. 

I don't really know what I was watching. I didn't really care. I just needed to relax and get myself together before anything.  Seems reasonable, yeah? 

So, here's to rebuilding my relationship with my daughter, while remaining civil with Zane. We can do this co-parenting thing. I have all the faith in the world that things will work out. 

As I said before, I got this. I'll make sure everything works out in whatever way makes her the happiest. Her happiness and well-being is what truly matters to me. Always has been, and always will be, my top priority. She's my little girl, and I'll be damned if she's ever hurt like this again. 

Mom will make everything alright.