Chapter 1

*Yadira's pov*

"Joel, that's not how you solve that." I chuckled and looked over his paper. He furrowed his eyebrows staring at the math problem.

"And what makes you think you're right?" He challenged.

"Maybe because I have an A and you have what? A C+?" I smirked going back to my homework.

He raised his eyebrow at me and chuckled. "So you think you're smart?"

"I don't think I'm smart, I am smart."

He closed his math book and looked at me. "But who's better at English?" He asked smirking.

I looked at him and laughed. "Not you. You can't spell."

"I have an A for your information."

"And I have an A+." I said not looking up at him but knowing damn well he was getting butthurt and competitive. "You should finish if you want to go the movies with us." I added looking up at him. He sighed and opened it again.

---

The cold wind blew making me shiver. I hugged my body in hope to get warmer although I had two layers on. Winter in Hesperia really is the worst thing ever.

"Are you cold?" Joel asked as he shoved his hands in his pockets. I nodded and he opened the trunk searching for something.

"Ready guys?" Emanuel asked as he got off the car. We all nodded and he looked at Joel confused. "Bro, what are you doing?"

"Yadira's cold." He simply said as he searched through the trunk.

"Joel, is fine. We'll go inside either way." I said. He looked at me and nodded before closing the trunk. Emanuel locked the car and we all walked to the entrance of the movie theater.

The smell of popcorn filled my nostrils as a wave of heat hit. I felt my body relaxed as I looked around. Teenagers were playing with the arcade games as others hold hands and walked towards the correct room.

"Here's your tickets." Emanuel said as he handed everyone a ticket. We gave it to the short blonde woman in the entrance and walked towards the line.

"What popcorn do you want?" Joel asked reading the signs that hung up from the cashier.

I shrugged. "It doesn't matter." He nodded and soon it was our turn.

"What can I get you lovelies?" The old woman said as she smiled showing her cheekbones.

"Can we have a bucket of plain popcorn?" Joel asked. He looked around and then said. "And two red ICEE" he took out his wallet but I quickly stopped him.

"Let me pay." I whispered. He looked up at me unsure and then shook his head.

"I'm the gentleman here." He took out his money and handed it to the old woman. The woman gave me the popcorn and drinks.

"Have a lovely night." She smiled. Joel and I thanked her and moved aside and waited for the rest.

"Are you scared of horror movies?" He asked smirking.

I shook my head. "Nope. I love them." I lied. Joel gave me a 'you're lying' face and waited for me to confess. "What? I'm saying the truth."

"Remember when we were little and watched bloody Marry? You couldn't sleep for days. Ever since, you don't watch horror movies." He said as I rolled my eyes.