Chapter 10

"So," Mario cleared his throat and sat down while holding his Starbucks drink. "You're going to do it?"

I sighed and put my drink down. "I don't know. I kinda want to but I'll have to do school on the road. It's too much."

"But this opportunity can open many doors for you." He said trying to convince me. I looked around at the people in the food court as they talked among themselves.

I don't mean to brag but I do have good ideas that can help them with promo although I'm not going to be worrying about that, only merch and photography. It won't hurt to give my ideas right? Plus, I'll be able to travel around the world. Not bad right?

"Hi guys!" I turn around and saw Linda coming towards us with full bags on her wrist. "What are you guys up to?" She sat and put her bags down.

Mario rolled his eyes and looked away. Although he talked to her to get me into doing this job, he doesn't like her at all. Never did and I doubt he will.

"Just talking." I simply said. She nodded and looked at Mario. She shifted in her seat and asked. "Are you okay?"

Mario taken off guard, turn to look at her clueless then back at me. I smiled and bit down on my lower lip. I'm not going to help him out on this situation.

He nodded and took a sip of his drink. I laughed and shook my head. This is great.

----

"I need you to clean your room!" My mother demanded as she pushed me into my room. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and leaned on the door frame.

I rolled my eyes and began to clean up the dirty clothes from the floor. What? I'm a very lazy person so I never wake up on time. Yet I always want to look good at school. I should really plan my outfits a day before.

"I see you more happy now." My mother spoke as I closed the cabinets. I froze on my spot and let those words sink in. I haven't thought about him in that way and I do seem more cheerful. "I miss seeing you like that." She added.

I turn around and awkwardly nodded. "I guess a year is enough time to forget a person." I felt like a dark could cloud up on top of me, ready to release it's rain. I sighed and sat down on my bed. "But I'm not fully healed."

My mom sighed and came over to me. She sat down on my bed and side hug me. "He was your best friend. Of course it's hard. He was the only person you trusted."

I looked up at her and furrowed my eyebrows. "Are you trying to make me feel better or?"

She laughed and kissed my temple. "What I'm trying to say is that I understand but in life, you-"

"You have to face your biggest fears and problems--not run away from them. I know." I finished for her. She smiled and patted my thigh. We stayed quiet and took in all the small details in my room. From the light blue walls to my paintings, to my Polaroids to my Mexican flag that hang on my wall.

I took a deep breathe and walked over to my wall were my Polaroid pictures hung. I stared at the one that fucks me over every time I stare at it.

A picture of Joel and I at the beach. He has his left arm wrapped around me as I rested my head on his shoulder. We were both laughing and sat on the sand.

. . . .

"Joel!" I shouted as I run up to him. He turned around but before he could say anything, I jumped on his back and we both fell on the water.

We surfaced and began to laugh. "You caught me off guard!" He shouted and threw water at me. I wore my pink one piece swim suit and black shorts. I cursed under my breathe as realized my shorts were now soaked.

We got out and sat down on his beach towel and watched the sunset. His family cooked hot dogs as his younger brothers ran in the water.

"I love this place." I heard Joel whispered. I looked at him and he looked down. "I said that out loud didn't I?"

I nodded and chuckled. "I do too. California's beautiful."

"Thank you for being my best friend." He said taking me off guard. I looked at him and saw how his eyes sparkled.

I gulped and fought back my tears. "Thank you for being my best friend. You mean a lot to me." I said. He smiled showing his perfectly white teeth and kissed my temple.

I wanted to tell him how much I loved him. How many hours I spent thinking about him and how happy he makes me. But it's like my tongue got numb.

"Una foto!" Patty shouted as she came running with her white Polaroid. "Say cheese!" She said.

Joel and I looked at each other and laughed at his mother's comment. Patty took advantage and took the picture.

"Que linda. Yadira, rest your head on Joel's shoulder and Joel wrap your hand around him." Patty said.

Joel got closer to me and wrapped his arm around me. My heart beat out of my chest as I felt the butterflies erupt. I rested my head on his shoulder and stared at the camera.

"Pero sonríen!" Patty said making Joel and I laugh.

. . . .

"Are you okay?" My mother asked as she rubbed my back. She now stood behind me. I nodded and noticed I was crying.

That day, I could've told him. That day I should've told him. That day is the day I regret everything. Is the reason I can't stop thinking about him.

"Yeah. I just miss our adventures." I told my mother and stare at the photo in front of me.

"Soon you'll be able to make new memories with him with this new adventure." I turn to look at her confused. "Only if you guys pick up where you left off."

I heard her footsteps faint and the door close. I took a deep breathe and ran downstairs. "Mom!" She turn around and waited for me to say something. "Do we have an extra suitcase?"

She smiled wide and nodded. "I'll get the tickets and signed the papers." I thanked her and ran up stairs to call Mario.

In the second ring he picked up. "So, I won't see you no more until who knows when."

"What?"

"You're talking to Cnco's new merch designer and photographer."

---------------

Published: June 6, 2017

Sorry I took long to update. I'm now in summer vacation though!

-JoelPxmentel

Word count: 1148