Chapter 12

"Holy shit. This place is big." I whispered to myself as I looked around the inside of the arena in awe. The guys were on stage for sound check as the team ran from one place to another making sure everything was in place.

"Start with um Hey Dj!" One of the music producers shouted. The guys gave him thumbs up and the song played.

"Don't just stand there. Go record and make sure you take good pictures of them. Also individual ones." A voice startled me. I turn around and there stood another photographer holding his camera. "You're getting paid, a lot. Do it right." He added before walking away towards the stage.

I felt my blood boil. As you can tell, i don't like people with big attitudes. I wanted to run up to him and cuss him out. But he's right, I'm getting paid and I'm expected to do a good job.

I walked towards the stage and took up close videos of the boys practicing. I smiled at how happy and focused them seem.

This is all you wanted, Joel.

I felt my stomach do flips as memories came flowing into my mind.

.   .    .    . 

"Get off there!" I whispered yelled at Joel. He stood on stage gripping into the microphone stand grinning. We were both in the auditorium and weren't suppose to. "We're going to get caught." I added as I jumped on stage trying to get him off.

"But I like being on here." He whined as he made it more difficult for me to push him by pressing all his weight on me. Groaning in frustration, I gave up.

"You better not pull some stupid shit and get us in trouble. I'll fight you Pimentel." I threatened.

"Please, take a seat." He said in a French accent. I chuckled and got off. I sat on the seat right in front of him. "This song I dedicate it to my best friend, Yadira." Joel spoke through the microphone although it was off.

I laughed at how cute, confident and goofy he looked on stage. He grabbed the microphone and began to sing a Shawn Mendes song. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

Seeing him so happy and truly seeing how passionate he was about singing made my heart melt. I couldn't help but smile widely.

.   .  .   .   .

Now here we stand. I snapped out of it and continue to take pictures while recording. Once in a while, I'll catch the other photographer glaring at me.

"Take a break!" The same producer from earlier shouted. The guys ran to get water and sat near the edge of the stage--feet dangling.

"Yadira, show me the pictures!" Richard shouted. I sighed and walked towards them. Richard got up and helped me get on stage. "I want to post one on Instagram." He added as he looked down at my camera. I went through all of them and showed him his pictures.

"Just keep clicking on this button and it'll show you the rest." I said and handed him my camera. Entertained, he continued to go through them all.

"Wow. You're really good at this." He said in awe. I smiled and thanked him. I looked around the arena and realized how breathe taking the view is from this perspective. It makes sense why artists love what they do.

"Puedo ver las fotos?" Erick asked as he got up and walked towards Richard. I nodded and Richard tilted the camera so he can see as well.

Chris was on his phone while Joel and Zabdiel whispered among themselves. I guess they felt my gaze since they stopped talking and looked at me.

"Sorry. I was just-I wasn't ears dropping by the way." I stuttered. Zabdiel and Joel looked at each other and laughed.

"No te preocupes." Zabdiel said and patted the spot next to him. "Ven." I obeyed and sat next to him. I've heard he's the sweetest but he somehow intimidates me. Maybe is because of his height--he seem kinda rude.

"Háblame un poquito de ti." He said smiling. Joel's eyes were also on me making me nervous. Why? Maybe because he knows me and if i say a lie, he'll know. Also, I'm not in good terms with him.

"Tengo un hermano mayor, Nathan. Mis padres son de México pero se vinieron para el norte cuando eran muy jóvenes. So ellos saben el inglés. Eso algo que sorprende a mucha gente. El inglés es mi primer idioma." I ranted.

Zabdiel nodded and said. "Está padre. Crees que me podrás enseñar el inglés?"

"Hey Guey. Yo soy el que te ayuda." Joel spoke and lightly smacked his arm making Zabdiel laugh.

"No enseñas bien. Cuando no pronunció las palabras bien, te rías." Zabdiel pouted making me chuckle.

"Bueno, Yadira es igual. Esta peor. Te hará carrillas." Joel said looking at me smirking.

"That's not true!" I defended myself. "No le hagas caso zab. Yo te enseñaré."

"Zab? Así yo le digo y solo yo le puedo decir así." Joel sassed. Zabdiel sat between us confused on what was happening but then smirked at Joel. Joel's cheeks turned red as he looked away.

"Yadira, can you come here please." The photographer from earlier shouted. All eyes were on me as I got up from my spot. Richard handed me my camera as I passed by. The photographer took me backstage where Renato stood, very serious. To make matters worse, it was where all the black rolling boxes were. It was dark and the only light came from the stage.

If I get fired on my first day, ya valió madre. My parents are going to be so upset with me. I was scared to face Joel and take this job, but I love it already. The last thing I want is to lose it.

"Le tienes miedo verdad?" Renato asked referring to the photographer who stared at me intensely. I gulped and took a deep breathe. Can someone please turn a light on?

"Un poco." I said almost as a whispered. Both men exchanged looks and laughed. I felt my cheeks turn red.

"Good. The purpose was to see if you'll go off on me." The photographer said crossing his arms in front of his chest. "I know you wanted to but bit your tongue and kept it professional." He added as Renato nodded.

What's happening? I'm so confused on everything. I mean, I just got off an airplane an hour ago. Give me a break!

"No tengas miedo. Confía en nosotros. Estamos aquí para cnco y para cada uno. Si necesitas algo, puedes preguntarle a cuál quiera--hasta a los chicos." Renato said. I nodded as my body relaxed. Us three walked back to the stage where the guys goofed off.

My head pounded due to slack of sleep. I was still trying to process what just happened. I know it was a joke but that left me uneasy.

One day down....many to go.

------------------

Published: June 9, 2017

So sorry if this chapter was whack :(

-JoelPxmentel

Word count: 1182