Chapter 8

Times goes by quickly when you're focus on your class work. I got up from my seat and handed my worksheet to Mr. Jones. He looked up from his newspaper and whispered. "Stay after class." I nodded and sat back down.

I looked around the classroom and saw students either finishing the sheet, asleep or spaced out. I sighed and put my head down knowing these ten minutes will go by slow. I felt something hit my head.

Turning around annoyed, I was greeted by a smiling blonde cheerleader. I furrowed my eyebrows and picked up the paper. She shooed me encouraging me to read the paper. I turn back around, slumped on my seat hoping Mr. Jones won't caught me.

'Join cheer.'

I chuckled and crumbled it. I sat up and turn around. The blonde chick, I think her name's Hannah, smiled. I shook my head and threw it back at her. Her smiled dropped as the ball of paper landed on her desk.

Finally, the bell rung indicating lunch is next. I waited for everyone to pass so I could talk to Mr. Jones alone.

The old man slowly stood up from his leather black chair. "Do you know someone admires your art and photography?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "No. I never thought my art was good." I said in all honesty. He chuckled and walked towards his desk where his computer was.

I turn to my right, towards the door, and there stood Mario waiting for me. He mouthed 'what happened' but I just shrugged. Mr. Jones turn to look at me and Mario hid against the wall.

"I have a job opportunity for you. It's a big opportunity." He said opening an envelope and taking a letter out. "What do you say about designing someone's merch and being their photographer?"

My jaw dropped. This is huge! Me, Yadira, to design someone's merch and be their photographer? I'd be getting paid for doing something I enjoy and travel at the same time!

"Wait. For who?" I asked holding onto my backpack's straps. He put his fragile glasses on and scanned the paper.

"I don't know but it's a group." He said and handed me the paper. I took it from him and read it. As soon as I saw the manager's name pop up, I felt my blood boil. "Don't tell me yet. Think about it because this is a big opportunity." He added.

I nodded and walked out to be greeted by Mario who waited impatiently for me to explain. "So?"

Sighing I handed him the paper but I regretted. Knowing him, he'll encourage me to take this opportunity.

Joel knows how much I love art and photography. I can't believe he talk to Renato and Ricky to get me as their new photographer and merch designer.

"So are you going to do it?" He asked me and handed me the paper. I shoved it in my bag and we walked to the cafeteria.

"No." I said clearly annoyed. Mario furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. I grabbed a tray and moved along the line.

"You're crazy. Take it!" He encouraged me. I looked up at him unbelievably. I didn't say anything and walked towards our table. I sat down and opened my juice. "Why not, Yadira?"

I looked at him and stared into his hazel eyes. "I don't want to work with him." I looked back at my tray and took a bite of my pizza.

Before he turned to look away annoyed, he rolled his eyes and sighed. I furrowed my eyebrows and finished chewing. "Save your speech."

He looked at me unbelievably. "You're stupid for letting him get-"

I put my pizza down and looked at him. If looks could kill, he'd be dead 436446 times. "Then I'll continue to be stupid. Thank you very much." I spat.

He sighed and opened his juice box. "This could lead to other opportunities. Like being a movie designer. You know, your dream."

I was still looking at him but my face soften. "I know. But I can't work with him. And before you say, in life you'd need to work with people you can't stand, save it. I know and I choose to not take this opportunity."

----

"That'll be $17.40" I said to the woman with three children. I smiled down at one who evilly smirked. Children either are adorable and angels or creepy and evil. The woman paid and I handed her the food. "Enjoy your movie." I added before they walked away.

"Yadira what the fuck!" Linda slammed her hands on the counter making me jump. The people in line stared at us. "Why aren't you? This is your dream!" Mario.....

"Can we save this for my break?" I said through gritted teeth while staring at the people behind her. She took a deep breathe and moved aside. After everyone disappeared to watch their movies I let Linda in behind the counter and sat her down on the chair.

"Now what do you want?" I asked resting my hands on the wooden table.

"You're crazy!" She said loud and clearly disappointed in me. I looked away not looking into her blue eyes. "Why?" I looked back at her and gulped.

"The band is CNCO." I said. She looked at me clueless. "Joel's in the band. I can't okay? Please understand."

"So you're going to allow that to stop you?" She said a bit calmer but still disappointed. I nodded and she shook her head. "At least give it a shot."

"No Linda." I said getting up and heading to the counter since I heard footsteps getting closer. I don't want to get caught by my manager since it wasn't break time. "Can Mario and you understand? I don't want to be near him."

"Because you love him." She said crossing her arms. I froze in my spot. I didn't know what to say or do. I felt a lump in my throat, preventing me to speak. "Stop being afraid."

I finally had the courage to turn and face Linda. "It's not that. I'm a minor." I lied. She rolled her eyes and chuckled. "I doubt my mother wants to join us."

"You're making so many excuses." She said walking in the front of the counter to face me clearly. "Please think about it. Follow your heart not your head." Before I could say anything she left. Mario came towards me with a broom in his hands.

"Para que le fuiste con el chisme?" I said mad. He looked at me confused but then saw Linda outside the theater.

"She's your best friend. I thought she'd get you to think twice about this." He said in all honesty. I shook my head still mad.

"We're not in good terms either. She doesn't need to get involved."

"Well sorry for trying to knock some sense into you." He said putting the broom away. I looked down at the clear counter and stared at the skittles.

Maybe I should give it a shot.

------------

Published: May 29 2017

Word count: 1183