Dwalin

It wasn't an unusual sight to find you and Dwalin taking the late night patrols together, close enough that your shoulders would barely touch, but not enough that it was obvious you were a pair to the public eye, at least, you both thought so.

Tonight's patrol was no different, you met up in the centre of town, barely saying a word to each other before heading off. You had been sent out a bit further than normal, reports of orcs being a little too close to the borders urging the prompt, but it meant little to the two of you.

As you walked around the edge of the lake, the starry night reflected upon the still water, Dwalin glanced at you and found your eyes locked on the sky.

"That's hardly paying attention." He said gruffly.

A ghost of a smile crossed your lips but you did not move your gaze. "I've always loved the stars, like thousands of tiny lanterns lighting the paths ahead."

Dwalin gives you an odd look, but this just makes your smile wide as you break your gaze away to look at him. "Is something the matter Dwalin?"

"No." He said quickly before taking a few faster steps forward, leaving you to chuckle after him.

"Must we do this dance every night?" You ask.

"We are warriors. It's what we do." He said firmly as you easily matched his stride.

"We dance?"

He snorts in amusement, sending an exasperated glance at you. "No. We don't do this...this odd stuff, observing stars and...and...being poetic."

You chuckle again. "I am simply admiring their beauty. Can you really deny that the lanterns on our mountain do not reflect the appearance of the stars above?"

It was true, from where you were on patrol you could see the lights burning on the mountain side, almost mimicking the image of the sky above.

"Well...maybe. If I squint a little."

Your laughter cut through the night air. "Oh Dwalin, you are remarkable." You gave him a very affectionate smile. "Nothing can compare to you."

You knew that this would make his face flush and sure enough, he was quick to turn away from you again, stepping ahead.

"Now you're getting mushy on me too? Is it something in the air tonight?" He grumbled, although it was clear that he was trying to hide his embarrassment.

With a smile, you stepped quietly up behind him, stepping up on your toes, kissing the shell of his ear, making him freeze.

You step ahead this time, the smirk clear on your face as he watches you walk. "I don't know. Maybe?" When he doesn't follow right away, you glance back at him, the star reflected in your eyes. "Not going to follow the lanterns love?"

The growl that left him had you giggling and quickening your pace as you dashed away. It wasn't long before he caught you though, locking you in a searing kiss that soon left the patrol long forgotten and left nothing but the stars shining overhead.