Legolas

You saw Legolas walk away from everyone and your heart went out to the elf. Losing someone was far and few between for them, especially like this.

Without much thought, you followed.

He stopped at the edge of the crystal clear water, the lake almost unaffected by the mountains around it, not a single ripple on the surface.

"You do not have to follow," He spoke quietly. "I am alright."

"No one is alright after that Legolas." You said gently, standing next to him. "I am simply offering company."

Legolas sighs but remains silent as he stares at the stillness, nothing stirring beneath surface, a very stark contrast to what had been on the other side of the mountain.

"I don't understand." He said suddenly.

"What?" You asked.

"How do you deal with it like this?" He asked. "You and Aragorn are both so calm, despite what we've just lost. The rest of us..."

You smiled a little sadly as he trailed off. "Gandalf's loss weighs heavily on all of us Legolas. Aragorn and I...we've suffered loss before. We know it never gets any easier, we just simply know what to do when we need to. Grieving right now, at least for him and I, won't get us moving again. We will grieve when we are safe."

Legolas stares at his feet for a moment, his expression twisting as he tried to keep it blank.

You take his hand. "We are choosing to withhold out feelings Legolas, not ignore them. I assure you-" You voice broke a little, making you clear your throat. "That I am feeling Gandalf's loss just as much."

His eyes were shining as he looked at you. "So...all this...is normal?"

You smile was patient and kind. "Very normal, I promise. If you don't want to fight it, then don't, but just understand that we will have to move soon."

He nods once, and without warning, he pulls you into a very tight hug, tucking his head against your shoulder.

For a moment, you didn't respond, before letting yourself relax and hold him close.

"It doesn't last forever." You promised. "It does heal and you learn to look back on happier times."

Legolas just nods but remains where he is, his grip tightening around you.

From the angle you were at, you could see some of the others watching. "We have an audience."

"You don't seem to mind." He mumbled against you and you could hear the emotion in his voice.

"No." You admitted. "But I do believe it is very out of character for you, after all that they've seen."

Legolas draws in a deep breath before letting it out slowly, pulling away. He hesitates for a moment, before breaking his gaze away from yours. "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologise for." You said. "I am here to help."

"I don't think you understand." He said with a slight frown, returning his gaze to you. "I love you. I have for some time now, but I should not have done that, I should not have put my burden on you."

Surprising him though, you smiled. "If I did not want that to happen, I would not have come over." You then bent down and picked up a stone and placed it in his hand. "But if you are truly worried, then put it on this instead."

He looks at you confused.

You shrug. "It was a trick that I showed when I was little, you put all the negative into the stone and then throw it away." You look at the water. "As much as I don't want to break the peace of the water, I think here is the perfect place if you wish to do so."

As if to encourage him, you pick up your own stone and take a moment to draw a deep breath, turning the stone in your hand before tossing it away, landing with a small plop, the ripple traveling along to the shore.

Your shoulders relaxed and you smile at him, your cheeks flushing slightly. "I did not mean to avoid your statement, and I would be lying if I didn't say that I share those feelings, however I do not think that right now is the time to deal with them, not properly."

Legolas slowly nods, doing the same that you had done with the stone, watching the ripples until the stillness returned, his shoulders losing some of the tension.

You didn't miss the small smile as he turned back to you. "Come, we should return and move on."

There was no hesitation to take his hand walking back to others, and while you both felt a little better, you also knew that there was still a lot of uncertainty to come.