Fili

Fili paused as he stepped past the library doors, seeing your figure within, his gaze softening as he watched you work silently over your book, occasionally checking notes from another, working by the light of a single lamp.

There was such a concentration in your gaze, one that Fili had gotten used to over the years that he had known you, and he knew that there was little that could break you out of it.

Stepping in silently, he sat at a table behind you to watch you work.

Eventually, your instincts kick in and you feel someone watching you.

Turning, alert, you are quick to relax when you see that it is just him. "I'm pretty sure I've asked you not to do that."

"Maybe," He smiles. "But it is always fascinating to watch you work."

You return his smile. "I'm sure." You dip your quill back into the ink. "I have much to do."

Fili chuckles and walks over to you, amusement clear in his gaze as he stood next to you. "You've spent so much time alone, you've forgotten how to be around others." He holds out his hand as you roll your eyes. "Let me help."

You stare at his hand, the ink blotting onto the page. "Fili, I have a lot to do, I don't think you under-"

"Y/N, I'm the heir, of course I understand." He winks. "I also know that you need to run away every once in a while."

"Fili..."

"It'll just be for a few hours, I promise."

Gnawing your lip, you look back at your book, a slight irritation at the ink blot on the page and you sigh, dropping the quill down before taking his hand. "Okay."

Fili leads you through the winding halls of Erebor, his hands never leaving yours as you ducked and weaved out of the way of anyone that would interrupt the two of you, telling you to return to your task.

Finally, he pulled you onto a balcony overlooking the rolling forest before you, covered in a heavy layer of mist.

"Wow," You breathed, finally letting go of his hand and leaning against the wall to take in the view. "It is normally not this heavy right?"

Fili joins you and shakes his head. "No. Many are taking it as a bad omen."

"A bad omen?" You enquired with a slight frown. "But this...this is beautiful. There could be any sorts of wonders that could come from in there, it would be like walking through a dream, not knowing where you're going to turn next and..." You trailed off, feeling your face flush as Fili watched you with a wide smile.

"You see the world in a way that no one else does." He said affectionately. "It is amazing. Truly."

You scoffed. "If anyone agreed with you I wouldn't be stuck just doing the tale of our journey here, I'd be making my own way."

"But that is why you are doing it." Fili said quickly. "I told Uncle that no one else would be able to treat it the way you do, that without you, our tale would be lost, not set in stone for the ages."

You felt your face burn and you smile nervously, looking back at the forest. "You did not have to do that."

"Of course I did." Fili leans on the wall with you, your arms just touching. "You deserved the recognition after what you went through, and you always talked so eagerly about it. I wasn't about to let some old scholar take over."

The chuckle left you as you thought about it a little more. "I never did approve of those old scholars."

He nudged you a little, smiling. "See, aren't you glad you have it?"

You sigh, smiling, and rest your head on his shoulder. "Thank you Fili. For everything."

Fili remained silent, continuing to smile as he took your hand back in his, the two of you looking out at the forest together, both wondering what new paths it could hold.