Eomer

"We are warriors. It's what we do."

Those weren't the words you wanted to hear tonight and you stared pleading at Eomer, holding the tears back, keeping yourself held tall.

"It doesn't have to be this way Eomer." You spoke softly, but firmly, a tone that had Eomer sigh.

"You know it does." His expression became firm. "If the worst were to happen out there, then I don't want you to suffer for it."

You drew in a deep breath, centring yourself. "Do you not think that that will happen anyway? That simply because of what you say now, that it will make stop caring? I love you Eomer and nothing is ever going to change that."

Eomer's jaw clenched. He had wanted this to be easy, wanted you to simply walk away from him and not look back. If he survived, then maybe you would come back to him, maybe you could have a life together, but now, it seemed nothing more than a distant hope.

Stepping forward, you gently rested a hand on his arm. "Eomer, I knew what I was getting into. Do you see any other men casting their lovers aside tonight? They are embracing them, hoping to see them when the new dawn rises."

Eomer doesn't move away from your grip, but he doesn't embrace is either. "The men are doing what they are seeing fit, as am I."

"I know," Your voice became soft again, understanding. "And I know the signs are against us, but please Eomer, do not cast me out. I want to be with you tonight, I want to ease your burden. Do not carry so much on your own."

"I must." He grumbled. "The men look to me-"

"They do," You agreed. "They look to you because of your kind heart and fierceness in battle. They look to you because of your openness and ability to strategize. I could go on Eomer, but I don't think I need to because you know all these things, just as I know all these things. It is what I fell in love with in the first place."

Eomer stares out at the rows of tents below him, bathed in the moonlight, before he finally turned to you, his eyes shining, and he spoke in a voice that you had never heard before, one so low that you had to step closer to hear. "I'm scared, do you not see that?"

You rested your hands on his chest, stepping into him, his hands resting on you. "Of course I do. Why do you think I did not walk away when you first said those words?"

He was shaking and he rests his head against yours to try and settle himself. "Forgive me, but I cannot bear the thought of you being left alone, and this-"

"Hush," You press a gentle finger to his lips. "It will be alright Eomer, I promise."

Shuddering, he nods, and pulls you closer to him, silence falling over you. High in the sky, a red moon cast out its light, leaving none without the sense of ill ease as battle loomed, and praying that everything would be alright.