Big Bad Wolf

By lunchtime the next day I was stashed away in a tiny apartment in New York. It was very tiny and well decorated but it wasn't me. I like bright, vibrant colors and this was kinda bland. Not that I'm complaining,  I'd stay in a pig sty as long as I was away from Asher. I was grateful that he left as soon as he deposited me here. Of course he left me a list of instructions to follow. No speaking of him whatsoever, no contacting him, no friends, and definitely no one allowed to visit me here. Also he gave me another vicious warning about running off.

Not that I really could if I wanted to, he made sure of that. He'd already found me employment at SL incorporated as a receptionist. The pay was dire and most all of my earnings would go to rent and bills with barely enough to feed me. This way I couldn't save any money to run away on. Oh, but I'm not dumb, Asher supplied me with many expensive clothes. I could easily pick a few pieces out to make due with and hock the rest for a good price. Yes, I did plan on hauling ass but first I would stick around and learn Asher's routine so I'd know when my best chance was.

Waking early the next morning I was excited to start my new job. This would be the only taste of freedom I would have for now. Within a few weeks I fit right in and had made several wonderful friends, especially Mona. We would slip off a few nights a week for a cocktail and I would hangout with her on weekends. Asher never said I couldn't go out. The only rule I was breaking was having a friend. So many times I wanted to spill my guts to her but fear kept me from doing so. If anyone asked I only told them that I was from Maine, single and not looking for a partner. I'd had several male employees ask me out but I always said no. However there was one guy who caught my eye, Lucas. He was so nice and sweet but I couldn't drag him into my crazy world  could I?

Eventually against better judgement I did have dinner with him a few times and had allowed him to kiss me. It was nice and I felt no guilt. In my heart I wasn't a engaged woman. I didn't want this at all. Thankfully Asher rarely checked up on me. I was with Lucas after work one night and he was discussing a issue he was having at work. Asking if I may look at the spreadsheets to see if I could help he agreed. Within a few minutes I had a new plan worked out that he claimed was genius. In a month I had tripled their income and was brought to the attention of the owner who now wants to meet me to discuss other business offers. I was giddy and hopeful. I could really use this pay increase to further my escape plan.

Little did I know I was in for a shock. Dressing in my best business attire I was escorted into the owners office. When he turned to greet me my knees nearly buckled. Seven Lambardi stood right in front of me and judging from his scowl he wasn't happy but a tinge of excitement rippled through me and I almost ran to him.

"Seven"? I squeaked in a giggling voice I hadn't heard come from my lips in years. His dark eye's grew into slits as he narrowed his gaze on me but I just kept standing there smiling like a loon.

"Your fired" he suddenly roared.

"What? Why? You can't..."

I was cut off by him stomping up to me and bending down in my face and hissing "Get out of my fucking building immediately. Collect your things and go".

Oh no, my eye's are watering themselves. Please no, not in front of him I thought biting my lip trying to hold it together. When he saw my eye's welling up he gave a dramatic eye roll that could be heard. Snapping away from me he picked up his phone and called security. Within seconds I was escorted out of his office and sent to gather my belongings. What in the world I thought. Why is he treating like this? I can't loose my job, there's no telling what Asher might do if I did. Gathering up a inch of courage and a lot of built anger from stress I darted away from guards and ran onto the elevator. Moments later I busted into his office locking the door behind me.

"The hell you doing back? You should be on your way princess".

Placing my hand on my hip and jutting my chin out I spat "I demand to know why your firing me?"

Clearing his throat he stood. "First off no one demands anything from me". He started coming toward me like a predator stalking prey. Once he reached me he bent back down and said through gritted teeth. "I. Don't. Like. You. I need no further reason than that."

That did it. I was boiling mad. He had no reason to say or do any of this. Trying to deliver a scary scowl to match his own, I squinted my eye's and scrunched my nose up. I probably looked more like a constipated bunny than a villain but I didn't care. "That's still no cause to fire me. I've done nothing wrong. In fact from what I'm told I saved your company's ass".

Ha, sit on that you dip shit I thought as I gave a smile of victory. Then I saw his jaw start to do that all too familiar tick he did when he was about to lose his shit. Slowly my smile faltered and I started backing up.

"Yea, ok, I think I'll go now" I mumbled meekly.  I tried to open the door but had forgotten I'd locked it to keep the security out. In return this caused me to walk right into in my haste to evacuate. As I started fumbling with the lock, I felt two strong hands grip my arms. Before I could protest I was basically slid across the floor and stuffed into a armchair. "You'll want to stay for this princess". Seven hissed.

He took his seat behind the desk and just glared at me. My nerves was making my skin crawl and out of habit I started rubbing my upper arm as if I had a chill. Well his stare was chilling so...

"You had me fooled once princess but never again. So I hear your parent's are the slummers now?"

I sat quietly not answering. "How's it feel to be on the opposite side now princess?"

Getting irritated I spat "just say what you want to say and I'll be on my way".

"I want answers".

"Answers to what Seven?"

"You know that summer we was together I actually thought you was different from the rest. Yea, you fooled me good with your innocent voice, bright, bubbly smile, and big blue eye's. Then you left without a word, no contact nothing. Foolishly I went to your house and your dad told me you admitted I was a mistake, you wanted no more to do with me".

"He what?" I screeched.

"Don't deny it now Lotus just because your job is on the line. I hate liars. You should see what I do to people like you".

Pushing his last words aside I asked almost clueless. "You really don't know what happened do you".

Giving me a smart ass  smirk he laughed out "enlighten me princess with your tall tale I'm sure you'll give".

Ugh... I felt my eye's watering themselves over his harsh words. "You don't have to be so vile".

Sarcastically he snorted "forgive me princess. Now you can stop watering your eye's".

Looking up I was somewhat shocked that he could recall how I always said I wasn't crying but watering my eye's.

"The night you was arrested I spotted Josh in the parking lot and I knew he did it. I went to the police station and announced to the officers as well as my dad that I knew you didn't do it because I was with you. They investigated Josh and concluded that it was him".

"That son of a bitch" Seven snarled. "I should hunt him down and..."

Seven let his words fade off and I continued. "I never left you Seven. The very next morning my parent's sent me to a girl's reform school in France.

"A what?" He hissed. "That's for delinquents, criminals. Damn near like a prison".

"Well because I was with you they considered me as such. The only reason I'm back here is because their financial issues currently. Nothing my dad told you was true. I never said any of that. You should've known better."

"I'm amazed you survived that type of school" Seven said almost to himself.

"Barely, but I did. I learned to shut the beatings out". I quickly clasped my hand over my mouth not meaning to actually say that. I saw a raw look cross his face and assumed he thought I got what I deserved. "If we're done now I'll be going".

He nodded his head as a dismissal and I rose. Before I left I turned to him and said. "I'm glad you continued with your schooling. I'm proud of you".

I shut the door quietly behind me and left the building.