Chapter 12: So close yet so far away

Lexie's POV

I watched as everyone around me disappeared. I frantically looked around for anyone. The thick smoke made it hard to see and even harder to breath. I heard a faint cry and saw Mark collapsed onto the ground. Flames danced around him. I ran over to him tripping over my feet. Grabbing his arms I tried to pull him away. We barely moved at all. The flames started to come closer. Taunting and teasing. I smelled it before it happened. The smell of gas. I covered his body with mine as the next explosion happened. Fire rushed over my body. Crawling up my back and into my hair. I screamed as the flames pulled back before coming at me again. I screamed as they climbed down my back before I finally passed out onto Mark.

Alex's POV

Everyone around me was screaming. I saw Arizona tripping around in the smoke and started to go to her. Then I heard another cry.

"Help!" It was Addison. I turned towards her voice and started running. Praying she would be okay. One of her legs was trapped under a large beam. I hurried over to her and tried to push it off. It weighed too much. She started to cry as we both realized I couldn't move it. Then I saw a flat metal plank. I pushed it under the beam resting on Addison's legs. Crying out as the hot metal burned my hands. Finally the beam moved up. It was barely anything at all. But it was enough. Addison pulled her leg back and I let the plank go, we watched as the beam slammed back into the ground. I turned to Addison before looking at her leg. The bone was mostly crushed.

Callie's POV

"Arizona? Mark? Anyone!" I called feeling hot tears start springing from my eyes as I looked around. When the explosion hit I was propelled forward knocking the wind out of myself. I frantically started running zigzagging around spots of fire trying to find someone, anyone.

I stopped when it got hard to breath. When each breath felt like a stab to my chest and I could only seem to inhale smoke. I started to feel light headed and slowly sank to my knees. I was gasping for each breath, but coming up short. As I laid my head on the ground I saw a familiar pair of pink sneakers make their way towards me.

"Callie!" Arizona's voice rang out in the large area that used to be the main lobby. "Callie, baby, it's going to be okay!" Her burned arms helped me sit up and slowly I was able to breath a little bit of oxygen.

"Arizona..." I broke off coughing before turning back to her. "I love you."

George's POV

Everyone was screaming. Izzy was frantically trying to pull as many people as she could towards the doors.

"George!" She screamed as the last explosion knocked everyone off their feet and around the building.

"Izzy!" I called frantically. "Izzy!"

I started going as fast as I could towards the area I saw Izzy thrown to. When I reached the area littered with debris and flames I spotted blonde locks hidden behind a large chunk of the celling. I ran as fast as I could with my burnt calfs until I saw her. She was sitting up hunched over her legs they were splayed out in front of her.

"Izzy" I called out trying not to sound as scared as I felt. "Iz what's wrong?" I asked as I made my way to her.

"George" she said her voice breaking. "George I can't walk I... I can't get out." She said as I stepped in front of her and gasped.

Her right leg was covered in blood and a big piece of metal protruded from it. Her face was tear and dust stained. It broke my heart. 

"It's okay Iz we will all get out of here." I tried to reassure her as I knelt down beside her frame.

"George... If I don't get out of here I wanted to tell you that I really like you. Like more than I should. I might even love you..." her voice broke and she started to sob a sound that tore my heart in two.

"Izzy we will get out of here. Me and you and everyone else! And I think I love you too."

Mirandas POV

Richard and I were the ones closest to the doors when the explosion hit. I was sent flying into the window and onto the pavement outside. Richard landed a few feet away from me also on the pavement. Fire fighters rushed to help us as I sat up.

"They are still in there!" I said frantically pointing to the widow.

"Mam, nobody could have survived the fire. There is nobody left." A big man said as I was lifted onto a stretcher.

"No!" I cried out. Extremely frustrated. "Meredith and... and Christina and Stevens and O'Malley and everyone! Everyone is in there!"

"Mam!..." I watched as someone else cut him off.

"Dr..."

"Bailey" I offered to him. He gave me a grateful smile in return.

"Dr. Bailey my team and I will personally go look for your friends and find them. Not including Dr. Webber over there can you tell us how many their were?

"Twelve. I think there were twelve."

Owen's POV

I tried to cover Christina's head as the blast came. But it was to no avail. We were both thrown into the wall and I heard a crack as Christina landed in a heap.

"Christina!" I cried out as she lay unmoving on the cold ground.

"Ugg." Was the response I got. But it was something. I tried to move by quickly returned to laying on the ground.

At least two of my ribs were broken. Christina looked up at me and I could see a nasty wound on her forehead. She had her left wrist cradled to her body.

We looked at each other for what felt like hours but was only seconds before she crawled towards me and cradled my head in her lap stroking my hair.

"It's okay." She said her voice hoarse.

"It's okay."

Meredith's POV

Once again the only thing my brain could register was pain. Blood curdling pain coming from everywhere. Seeping into my pores and racking my bones.

I slowly started to hear. I heard fire and screaming. And I felt something moving slightly underneath my head. As I tried to lift my head up something stopped me from going more than an inch. A large metal beam was resting on concrete pieces to my right and left. It was perched on the edge of the beam and teetered dangerously towards me.

I looked down as I felt something rise again. A dark scrub top crusted with blood came into focus. I looked towards the head and let out a small gasp (the only sound I could make). Derek had a small trickle of blood running from his mouth and a big bruise on his head. If I had not been injured and if I had been in my 'doctor mode' I would have realized he most likely hit his head before rolling over. But because I was injured and he was my boyfriend I started to silently cry.

He's going to die
He's going to die

Those four words just kept repeating in my head until blackness slowly took me over.

Hey guys I hope you liked it! I promise they are getting out of there in the next chapter or so! Comment ideas and any improvements I could make!