Chapter 19: Saving ourselves

Meredith's POV

I woke up gasping for air, shaking and covered in sweat. The recent events from my nightmare still playing in my mind.

It had been a week since I had woken up. My shattered knee was operated on and fitted into a cast. My other leg was set, but still no feeling. My right arm was also in a cast and my left was so covered in bruises and cuts the doctors were debating about wrapping it up.

I sighed heavily immediately regretting the decision. My abdomen had already had three surgeries and I had too many cuts to count displayed on my stomach.

I heard a movement outside my door and I perked up, hoping it was Derek. He had left sometime while I was sleeping to go get another checkup. 

A group of young doctors walked into my room and I quickly closed my eyes pretending I was asleep.

"Did you hear she was attacked while the hospital was on fire?" One doctor said and I tried to keep my breathing steady, to avoid another PTSD episode.

"I heard the man who attacked her set the hospital on fire so it was her fault that 20 or more people died." I held back a gasp and tears started to build behind my closed lids.

20 people died?
It was my fault 20 people are dead?
My fault.

"Did you know Dr. Nelson says they are going to amputate her leg! I so want in on the surgery!"

My eyes shot open because it was too much. I could handle it.

"Get. Out." I said my voice hoarse and shaky.

"Dr. Grey, we need to check you out."

"I said GET THE HËLL OUT OF MY ROOM!" The resident ignored my request and hurried towards me.

"Sorry Dr. Grey no can do." A blonde smirking resident said.

"Let me go!" I yelled thrashing around painfully aware my stitches were popping. My entire body burned and two of the residents left only to hurry back in with restraints.

"No stop!" I yelled my voice urgent now. "Please." I whimpered as the restraints were tightened around my wrists and ankles, sending me into another episode.

He held my body down as he grabbed my arm and cracked it. I screamed at him to stop. But I couldn't move. I couldn't breath. He pulled a piece of glinting metal out of his pocket and used it to cut the tender skin on my neck.
"This!"
"Is!"
"For!"
"Killing!"
"My!"
"Son!"
He yelled between cuts and stabs and punches. Ignoring my whimpering and begging. Telling me how much I deserved it. And the sad thing was, I was starting to believe him.

As I snapped back into reality I saw Derek and Richard yelling at everyone in the room. I used my now free hands, ignoring the flaring, blinding pain in my arms, and covered my ears. Rocking my head from side to side. Trying to block out the noise. The screaming and amount of light in my room aggravated my concussion. A blinding head ache started to form.

More voices mixed into the frenzy and I vaguely recognized Owen and George screaming at everyone to get out. Then I heard another voice command everyone to

"Shut up!" I recognized it as Christina, my persons, voice.

Slowly I opened my eyes and let my hands drop down onto the bed yelling out when they hit the pillow. My head was pounding and I was grateful for the silence.

Immediately Derek was at my side wiping away tears I didn't even realize I had. George was on crutches and Owen was seated in a wheel chair. Richard was standing beside my bed looking sad with his hands in his pockets. Christina was on my other side laying a hand on my shoulder. I winced but didn't let her see. I was sure Owen saw it though. He looked at me saddened before Christina quickly grabbed me a cup of water.

Derek held the cup to my lips as I took a small sip relishing in the cold water soothing my burning throat. As everyone, excluding Derek, left my room I sighed and tried to fall asleep. Derek sat in the chair beside my bed and I whimpered once.

"Please." I asked him, he sighed before saying.

"I don't want to hurt you."

"Please you would never hurt me." Derek sighed and slid into the bed beside me. I cried out when he grabbed my hand, and he looked at me, his eyes filled with sorrow.

He quickly upped my pain killers and I let out a sigh. Letting the medicine take away the pain and send me into a dreamless sleep.

Izzy's POV

George walked into my room and I quickly turned my head away. He sighed and sat down beside my bed grabbing for my hand, I quickly pulled away and refused to look at him.

"Please Izzy." He pleaded sounding guilty and sad. "You were going to die!" He said and tears burned at my eyes.

"I would have rather died than live like this!" I shouted back at him. He seemed stunned that I was actually talking.

"Izzy I couldn't let you die. I can't lose you!"

"Sorry George you lost me when you decided to do this!" I screamed at him pulling the blanket back and showing off my legs. Well one full leg and one that extended to just above where my knee was supposed to be. The end of my "stub" was covered in thick gauze and bandages.

George's eyes filled with tears.

"You were going to die." His voice was so weak, so scared a part of me wanted to hug him. But then I looked at my leg again and anger took over.

"I wish I was dead." I replied rolling over so he couldn't see the many tears that flowed down my face.

Alex's POV

What!" I yelled slamming my hands down onto the wooden table top, immediately regretting the decision. The burns in my hands ached.

"I am sorry, but you are not cleared for surgery until you can hold a scalpel comfortably in your hands for an hour!" The doctor said, not even looking at me. His attention was slowly focused on his hand held video game.

"Fück this."

I stood up pushing my chair over in the process.

"So I'll see you next week then!" The Doctor said as I stormed out of his office.

Chest heaving and filled with anger I started storming back to my room when I caught sight of Owen, standing outside of Meredith's door looking worried.

I rushed over, fearing something else had happened to my friend.

"What happened? Is Meredith okay?" I asked hiding my hands behind my back.

"She's..."

"She coded again didn't see?" I exclaimed feeling tears water in my eyes.

"What? No! No, no, no. She had another... episode. Some residents restrained her to give her medication. She tore some of her stitches, Richard is in there now."
I sighed before I realized something.

"Richard? He's not cleared for surgery yet." I said growing more suspicious.

"The residents are refusing to treat her, and they won't call anybody else." Owen said running his hands through his hair.

"What!" I shouted loud enough to wake anybody on the floor. "The stupid therapist they assigned me will only play his video games! An intern told Arizona she looked like a piece of toast! And now a group of stupid residents restrained an assault victim and sent her into a PTSD episode!"

Owen shook his head sadly. Before saying.

"Derek also told me that they forgot to hook a feeding tube up for Meredith, since she can't eat. She tried to tell the doctors but they wouldn't listen. Derek had to go set one up. Also they only changed Lexie's burns one a day instead of three times, because and I quote "she cries too much.""

I listened to this in shock before saying.

"We need to get everyone out of her. Our hospital might have gone up in flames, but this one. This one is worse."

Hey guys!!! I hope you liked it!!! I am thinking about wrapping the story up soonish (like not super soon or anything) please comment ideas!!!! And once again I really hope you enjoyed!!!