Chapter 15: When the world comes crashing down

Marks POV

I lay in the hospital bed unmoving, unresponsive. The nurse tried to get me to talk to her again. But I was silent, still trying to process the information I had just been given.

Lexie was in a coma because of me.

She had covered my body when the flames hit. Giving herself third degree burns over her entire back. Because I was unconscious and I couldn't get up.

"Dr. Solon?" The nurse said sounding unsure. "Do you want me to up your morphine?"

I nodded my head wanting to feel anything but the stabbing aching pain in my heart.

As the nurse fiddled with my morphine pump I turned my head to the side and tried desperately to fall asleep, the lone tear that trickled out of my eye and down my cheek going unnoticed.

Derek's POV

"I'm fine you can go." Alex Kraev's voice was the first thing that cut through the fog of sleep surrounding my head.

"Shepard?" Alex hissed. I heard the creaking of a wheel chair and Alex cursing.

"Umm." I said as I slowly peeled my eyes open, taking in the white room I was in.

I looked over to see Alex sitting in a black wheel chair beside my bed. His arm was in a sling, gauze peaked out from the top of his hospital gown and both his hands were wrapped up.

"You look like shit." I said my voice hoarse and weak.

"Look who's talking." Alex retorted back eyeing my appearance. I was sure I had heavy bags under my eyes. I could feel my wrist in a cast and a bandage on my head.

"How.. is everyone okay?" I asked wanting desperately to know if Meredith was okay. She had to be fine. She just had to.

I listened as he told me that mostly everyone was awake and okay. I gasped in shock when he told me about Lexie and how Mark had refused to speak since he had been told.

"What about Meredith?" I asked when he finished speaking. Alex wouldn't meet my eye.

"Umm. Well. They wouldn't tell me b... because her condition is too severe. They um. They called a code yesterday for her. I don't... I don't know if she's..."

"Alive." I finished from him as tears started running down my face. "You don't know if she's even alive."

Lexie's POV

Pain. It consumed me. Vaguely I wondered if this was what Meredith felt like. The thought was soon chased away as another wave of pain crashed down onto my body. Pulling me under.

All I saw was blackness. Then there was a light. It was small. But it was there. I tried to go to it, but it felt like I was trying to walk through concrete.

I let out a hoarse moan as I slowly started opening my eyes. Then I looked at the light. It was coming into focus. I saw a white celling with a bright light staring back down at me.

I was alive.

Meredith's POV

I thought the pain I had felt while in the burning hospital was the worst feeling ever. I was wrong.

I was numb, I couldn't feel anything. Not the warm hand that clutched mine so tight it nearly cut off my circulation. Not the tears that dripped onto my arm slipping onto the bed sheets. Not the slight breeze from the celling fan. Not even the pain I supposed to feel.

I was blind, forced into a world of darkness that I didn't want to be in. I felt like I would never be able to see the sun again.

I couldn't breath. A weight was on my chest. I was drowning and once again no air slipped past my lips. Except this time I wasn't sure I would ever be able to wake up.

I hope you like it! Sorry for (yet another) cliff hanger🙃. Please comment ideas and once again I hope you like it!