Intimate Memory

Dear Marie,

By now I know you have found your way back into the light. I’m sorry if you felt that we have abandoned you, but we didn’t.

Do not believe what the dark is telling you. Love is the only way to light your way. If you were wondering how he and I met, here’s a story that I will share to you.

“Katie, can you please turn off the lights and go to sleep?” my brother, who looked like me except he is four years older and is a head taller than me, said annoyingly from the top bed of the bunker. It’s a great and lavish bunker, mind you.

I was busy reading a book I bought yesterday in which I was too focused to notice my brother grabbing the book from my grasp.

“Hey!” I exclaimed, tucking back my black hair behind my ear.

“I told you to turn the fucking lights off, Katie. You know we will be leaving tomorrow and I can’t stand to enter the university and show the ladies my deep, dark eye bags due to lack of sleep! And it’ll all because of my sister reading a boring book that I can’t even understand why it’s so amazing.”

I took the book back and glared at his brown hues that had the same color as mine. “Don’t treat a book like that or I will kill you. The books will roar with me as we take arms to fend you off, you all-I-want-is-good-looking-ladies-and-not-books brother.”

He rolled his eyes. “Whatever, just go to sleep.” Then he went back up to his bed after turning off the lights. I lazily tucked myself under my sheets and after a moment of humming The Phoenix, I managed to doze off, until I was awoken by a constant shaking of my body.

“Katie! Katie! Wake up! It’s Blixie, your dog! She’s…she’s!”

I sat up immediately and hit my head at the bottom of my bro’s bunker. “Ow! What? What happened to her?” My eyes though bleary were scanning the room at the familiar speaker who roughly woke me up this morning.

I heard laughter at my side and I rubbed my eyes only to see clearly my best friend bending over her knees and wiping off fake tears from her eyes. I frowned. “What’s so funny, Lil?”

“Oh joy! I just can’t believe that actually woke you up, even though I didn’t believe your brother’s suggestion at first. But you should’ve seen your face!”

“Haha,” I sarcastically laughed and she stopped. “Oh sugar honey iced tea! I’m an hour late from my wake up time! Damn it, Keith!”

“Hey, don’t blame me that you slept like a rock,” my brother said from the door with a frown on his face. “Hurry up, we’re about to eat breakfast and after that, we’ll leave.”

“Yeah, thanks a lot, bro. Now get out of my room so I could get changed!”

“It isn’t only your room, Katie and you’ve got 4 minutes and 50 seconds left. Go get change, slowpoke. By the way, Happy Birthday, sis.”

I grunted in frustration even though I was internally grinning because my bro is so sweet to remember my birthday today after he left while Liliane looked amused.

I hate it when he timed my activities and he’d be serious about them especially whenever I’m not on time, though it is a good practice because I finished a minute earlier.

We finished up our breakfast and my mother was practically crying her eye sockets out because her youngest child would be going away in a university and stay in a dorm for the rest of her school years.

But my university is different from my brother’s. It’s a University of Crafts and Arts, both musically and artistically. My best friend was going with me so I don’t feel at least bit lonely.