Cupcake

Ring.

"Hello? I know you can hear me. Gah, this is voicemail. But anyway, can you at least tell me where you are? I'm really worried about you. Let's meet by the cafe tomorrow, okay? I have something to tell you. Uhm so yeah bye."

I brought my knees together as I leaned back on my bed stand, sighing. I glanced at the clock and it read, 1 A.M. Why the hell was she awake at this time too? I couldn't sleep because....I just can't.

The sun shone and I was able to steal a nap for like 4 hours. I woke up right after and dressed up to meet her by the cafe.

I entered the cyan-peach colored cafe, looking for a vacant seat. I sat there, waiting for ten minutes before she showed up.

"Rin," she greeted me with her big grin. I greeted her back with a smile.

She sat across me and raised her eyebrow. "Why do you look so...depleted?"

I shook my head. "The usual."

She frowned. "Again? Why won't they go away?"

"I don't know. What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" I knew she didn't like my response by the way she narrowed her eyes at me. I didn't want to talk about something that might kill the mood. We were supposed to be having a great time.

I noticed her usual playfulness disappeared. She gave me a serious look before sighing. "Something came up. I have to leave."

I slammed my palms on the table as I stood up. "What?! Why?"

She inhaled before answering. "It's an emergency."

I knew what she meant by that but I was too angry to say anything. After a minute, I calmed down and sighed heavily. "Okay."

She looked at me surprised. "Okay?"

"Yeah. I said okay. I know you need it. Just, please come back."

Tears were brimming in her eyes. "I will. I promise."

I knew I wouldn't be able to do well while she will be gone. She's my sister, though not by blood. I haven't yet recovered from recent events. Through all of them, she was always there for me.

The night before she was about to leave, I was standing by my window, watching her sleep from my room. I wrote a letter and pasted it on her window.

Take care always. Find your way. You know I'll always be here. I can't promise that when you come back I have recovered, but know that I will never forget you and will always love you sis. Farewell, sis. Don't forget the flavor of our cupcake--vanilla.

-R

With one last look, I pulled down the blinds and succumbed to myself. I won't know what would happen from now on, but I hope she'll be happier. Happier than me.