12

"Let's go," Aomine stood up, clapping his hands.

Kagami looked at him with a confused expression, eyebrows knitted together, "Go? Go where?"

"We need to get the next step done." Aomine stared back down at Kagami, looking at him expectantly.

Kagami slowly stood up, "You said you would tell me the rest of the steps."

Aomine turned his back, walking to the edge of the cave, "In time, I will." Kagami's headache subsided a little with the increased distance. Aomine looked over his shoulder at Kagami, "One step at a time, right?"

Kagami bit his lip, he couldn't help the uneasy feeling he had about this. But he promised Aomine that he would help him and he wasn't one to go back on his word. He walked up to Aomine, his headache coming back strong again. "What do we do now then?"

Aomine didn't answer him, he walked into the clearing, stopping to pick a few of the blue flowers that grew next to the cave. He turned back to Kagami, "Now let's go to hospital, we need to find someone on their death bed."

Kagami tilted his head to the side, he wasn't sure where Aomine was going with this, but he didn't question it. He cleared his mind as much he could, enabling himself to use his powers again. He felt through energy signatures until he found one of someone who was about to pass on. He changed their scene, bringing them to a hospital in the middle of Tokyo. They were outside the room of a patient who was minutes away from dying.

Aomine smiled, "Traveling really is so much easier with you around."

He turned, slowly opening the door and going into the patient's room, Kagami following behind him. The poor soul that was dying had no family, no one here in their final moments. Kagami felt... bad... that the soul was left to die alone.

Aomine went up the patient, they were barely awake but watched as Aomine walked up to them. Kagami watched intently, he wasn't sure what Aomine was doing. He wondered just what Aomine meant by ease the pain of a dying soul, he wasn't going to kill the person to end their suffering, was he?

To Kagami's surprise, Aomine handed the flowers to the patient. The patient's eyes widened a little, taking the flowers. They smelled the flowers and smiled, and Aomine smiled in return. Aomine sat next to the patient, resting a hand over theirs as the person kept smiling and smelling the flowers. He stayed sitting next to the patient for a long time. At some point, Kagami could feel the soul depart from the body. Still Aomine sat with them.

Kagami went up to Aomine, resting a hand on his shoulder, "Their soul has departed. Did you ease their pain?"

Aomine nodded, still looking at the patient, "Yes, this soul that was to die alone instead died in good company with a smile on their face. In those last moments, they were happy."

"Happy..." Kagami repeated, he wanted to know what it felt like to be happy. All of this was so foreign to him as an angel, but he didn't want it to be. With that one thought, the pain in his head from being close to Aomine hurt a little less.