18

Kagami closed his eyes, laying next to Aomine in the grass.  He didn't need to sleep like humans and now Aomine did, but there was something about it that felt so calm and peaceful.  He didn't want to end the moment, he was happy here with Aomine and he wanted to hold onto that.

But when Kagami opened his eyes, he was no longer in the clearing with the starry sky above him.  No, he was back in heaven, he could feel it.  Though he'd never been to this area before.  He looked around, Riko was here but this wasn't her office, she wasn't the one sitting behind the desk, she was standing to the side in front of it.  The person at the desk was smaller, but Kagami recognized him as the elder angel, Akashi.

"Kagami."  Akashi looked back at him with his two red eyes.

Kagami swallowed, looking down and nodding slightly.  He knew that Akashi was a ruthless angel and he didn't want to be on his bad side.  "Akashi-san," he paused, "Why am I here?"

"Perhaps the better question, Kagami, is why have you not come here yourself?"  Akashi kept looking at him with his cold stare.

He was quiet for a moment before saying, "I haven't completed my task..."  He wasn't sure if this was really a lie or just withholding the truth, either way, he didn't really like it.

Akashi narrowed his eyes at him, "I do not believe you."  Akashi sat back in the chair, looking right into Kagami's eyes, "You have found him, haven't you?"

Kagami dropped his gaze, he couldn't bring himself to look at Akashi.  Unfortunately, his response only confirmed Akashi's question.  Kagami could feel Akashi's eyes boring into him as he spoke, "And why have you not brought him here?  Were those not your orders?"

Kagami swallowed, straightening up and looking Akashi in the eye, "My orders were to locate Aomine Daiki.  And I did."

"Were you not told to bring Aomine here?"  Akashi looked Kagami a moment longer before changing his gaze to Riko.  Riko's face went pale.

"I was."  Kagami quickly added, he didn't want Akashi to punish Riko for anything, "I was told later to bring him back.  But I can't yet."

Akashi immediately turned his eyes back to Kagami, "And why is that?"

"Because Aomine is a human who needs help and it is my duty to help humans," he stood his ground, he didn't know what Akashi would do, but he didn't want to stop helping Aomine.  It was part of his angel nature to help humans and he'd always done so with joy, but something about what he was doing with Aomine just felt... different.  He'd never felt happy before, no matter how many humans he helped, but with Aomine, he felt like it was worth more.

"Heh," Akashi let out a small laugh, the only thing changing his expression before it went back to its cool, collected look.  "You are to stop at once.  He is not a human, therefore you are not obligated to help him."

"I was told he was human.  When I found him, he was human," he knew there was more to it, but he didn't want Akashi knowing that he knew Aomine was a fallen angel.

"He is not," Akashi didn't explain further, just said, "And you need to bring him back here to answer for his wrongdoings."

Kagami bit his lip, "But..."

"Are you defying an order?"  Akashi narrowed his eyes at Kagami.

"No sir..." Kagami's shoulders sagged a little.

"Then bring him back," was all Akashi said before Kagami was sent back to the clearing he'd been taken from.

Kagami once again looked up into the starry night sky.  Aomine was still at his side, fast asleep.  He didn't want to bring Aomine back to heaven, he was certain that Akashi would kill him, but he didn't want that.  He didn't know what he could do, he couldn't defy an order...

[A/N: how's the story feeling for you guys? Liking the pace? Maybe need a little more action? Or perhaps romance? Let me know what you think of it!]