20

Kagami opened his eyes, he was curled up next to Aomine, the sunlight already beating down on them.  He actually slept, he couldn't ever recall a time when he'd slept before and it really felt nice.  It was a beautiful day too, the sun was out, not a cloud in the blue sky.  He felt so at peace like this.

He furrowed his brow a little, gently shaking Aomine's shoulder.  Aomine groaned a little, opening one eye, "What is it?"

"Are you an angel again?"  He looked intently at Aomine, "You said that was the last step..."

Aomine shrugged, pulling Kagami tighter in his arms, "It takes time, it won't be immediate."

Kagami sat up, looking down at Aomine, "Then you have to leave..."  Aomine just looked back at Kagami, so he added, "The angels, my superiors...  I know they'll be coming for me soon because I haven't completed my orders, and if they find you here..."

"It'll be alright," Aomine rested his hand on Kagami's cheek, "You don't have to worry.  Whatever happens, happens.  If they catch me, I've made peace with it."

"How?"  Kagami didn't understand, this whole time he'd been helping Aomine to stay away from the angels, at least long enough to become one again.  Why was Aomine suddenly at peace with the idea of being captured and killed?

"Because I have done all I can to see my wish of becoming an angel again," he paused, looking into Kagami's eyes, "And I've had this time with you."

"A-Aomine..."  Kagami's face was heating up, he didn't really know why.

Aomine smiled, "For all that you've risked for me, I could never repay it.  And you've done it from the bottom of your heart..."  He gently rubbed his thumb over Kagami's cheek, "I said I would show you love, but you were the one who showed me."

"But..." Kagami looked back into Aomine's deep blue eyes, "I didn't know how to love..."

"You're caring, no one can teach you that." Aomine rubbed his thumb over Kagami's lips.  There was a quiet moment between them and Aomine slowly sat up too, leaning in.  He paused, mere centimeters from Kagami's lips, whispering, "I love you."  He leaned the rest of the way in, kissing Kagami deeply.

Kagami kissed him back just as passionately.  He couldn't stop a tear from falling onto his cheek, there was just something about the way Aomine had been talking and this kiss, that made it feel like their time together was over.

There was a buzzing sound a ways away, followed by a rustling.  Kagami knew that there were angels here to bring them both back to heaven.

[A/N: I hope you liked this! I'm planning to get into a bit more action and some feels soon here! 😊]