Chapter 21

"Listen, dear." Joshua grabbed the arm that had the sigil running up and down it, as active as ever. Although, it seemed to fade slightly and become more transparent with each passing moment, as if it were to disappear into oblivion completely. He slowly shut the door behind us as we stepped into my room and my legs grew weak when Joshua walked up to me so that our bodies were barely inches away from each other. Joshua grabbed the glove on my right hand and tugged it off, tossing it behind him as he did so, doing the same action to the other glove. He rolled up my sleeve and ran his fingers over the sigil. I shivered from the goosebumps that appeared and the slight electric feeling I could feel from his light, but gentle touch. The sigil seemed to circle my arm faster when he came into contact with it, as if speeding up the process. Joshua then brought his hand up to my face and brushed a few loose strands of hair out of my face. before setting his hand on my cheek, as if he forgot that he was going to say something to me.

I leaned on it with my head as I closed my eyes, resting there for a moment before we both pulled away, finally realizing what we had been doing just a moment earlier. My face heated up slightly and I felt like my knees would give out at any given moment. Come on Joshua... Don't leave me hanging like this...

"I suppose you must be getting tired huh? Then I guess it's off to bed you go. Don't worry, I'll tuck you in." Joshua laughed softly as he said this and tugged me over to the bed. My mind raced as fast as my heart did, different thoughts coming in from all directions and angles possible.

"I thought you had something to tell me," I mumbled. "You just told me to listen, and now you're changing the subject."

"Oh never mind that thought dear. You don't need to worry your pretty little head over it-"

"You don't have to change the subject you know. I mean, if you truly don't want to tell me, then don't, but if you do, not would be the time." Joshua was silent for a minute before his arms wrapped around my torso in less than a second as he enveloped my body in a tight hug. Startled by his actions, I was nearly tackled by the sudden contact. I backed up and hit the bed frame of my bed, wincing at the corner that was digging into my side. Slowly, I wrapped my own arms around his slender body.

"It's just better to avoid somethings, wouldn't you agree dear? After all, we both already know the pain of losing someone we held dear to us..." My (e/c) eyes widened as I recognized the meaning behind what he said. I'm not that important for him to beat himself over me, being reckless to try and save me from whatever trouble I managed to get myself in. I then thought about what he said.

'... we both already know the pain of losing someone we held dear to us...'

Joshua had never talked about his life before becoming the Composer, and as far as my knowledge went, not even Mr. Hanekoma, who has known Joshua longer than me, knows much, if even anything about his past. But who did Joshua know that died? Was it a family member? A friend? A lover even? Asking him would be prying into his business and I felt as if it would be opening up old wounds.

"... I know," I whispered. "It hurts, more than anyone can imagine. Having someone you cherish, someone you love, care for even, be taken away and feeling your heart be torn in two as your world is flipped upside down. The confusion and the heartache comes at full blast and you feel as if you'll never recover from the loss." Joshua's arms tightened around me before he pulled away, his eyes closed as a smirk was on his face. It seemed forced, and he didn't open his eyes to me.

"Heh, yeah... But all of this talk is making me tired. Let's call it a night, shall we?" I nodded, sensing that he didn't want to talk about the subject anymore. Finally, we laid down beside each other as Joshua had his arms lazily wrapped around me holding my body close to him. His face was buried in my hair, as he began to try to fall asleep himself.