Chapter 22

"Hey Joshua?"

Said boy turned his head towards me, letting his hair gently sway in the breeze. His legs hung off the edge of the roof of 104 as I sat with my legs crossed on the edge, just near him. "Yes dear?"

"I know that this probably isn't my place to ask, but, what happened in your past? You mentioned last night that you know what it's like to have someone you love die," I said, before instantly coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't ask.

Curiosity killed the cat as they say.

I regretted the moment those words left my lips as Joshua turned his head away from me and stared down at the Scramble Crossing, watching the citizens of Shibuya move without a care for the others in their presence. His lips were pressed firmly together in a straight line as his eyes became unreadable. His hands gripped the edge of the roof for a split-second before the tension in his entire body vanished, his violet eyes were slightly dull. His entire demeanor became slightly monochrome and I felt the impact of his emotions on the streets of Shibuya. Everyone down there now had a dimmer aura surrounding them, before Joshua shook his head and they returned to their usual state. The citizens of Shibuya followed the Composer's feelings, or rather, the Composer's emotions.

"There's nothing of my past that is worth mentioning here," Joshua said, crossing his arms as the people moving about below him became suddenly more interesting. I knew that I was crossing boundaries asking him about this, but I felt like he could give me some sort of detail from his past. After all, he does know a lot about who I am, and on top of that, has met my parents before they passed away to Nikolai's hand. His whereabouts were still unknown, much to my dismay. He deserved to pay for what he had done to everyone he caused harm.

"But you know more about me than I know about you. I just... I just want at least a glimpse into what you see, what you hear, and what you've faced," I said, leaning forward to place a hand on Joshua's shoulder. He instantly shook it off and my lips turned downwards in a frown as an unfamiliar feeling struck my heart. Hurt, perhaps?

"There's no point to this conversation (Y/n)," Joshua said, devoid of any emotion, He stood up on the ledge of the building, still staring down at the people and observing their daily lives. He refused to meet my gaze as I stood up, glancing to the side, feeling my legs go weak at the knees. Brushing off the feeling, I found the courage to turn back towards Joshua, who hadn't moved a muscle. It was clear that he didn't want this topic to be brought up or even mentioned but he avoids it day and night, and I finally thought to myself how much I truly knew about Joshua.

Not much.

"Please Joshua," I begged. "You keep all of your emotions and everything else hidden away behind a wall that you put up, and you know as well as I do that that's not healthy. You emotions will just keep piling up until you explode. I get that you distance yourself for a reason, but people know that we're close already. It's not like anyone else will know. Come on Joshua... Don't you trust me?" Joshua went silent for a minute and I figured I already had my answer from that silence.

"(Y/n) just drop the conversation. It's rather dull for what you usually converse about."

"Joshua c-"

"(Y/n)." I knew I was pushing it, but t was as if my body and mind had a brain of their own. We continued to argue back and forth about his past and him actually telling me anything about it until I snapped. Things between us were getting heated with each second that passed as the anger could probably be felt from both of us for miles if you were some supernatural entity. I wouldn't even be surprised if we were attracting the Noise's attention, and that was making our moods even more sour.