Chapter 31

"Are you ready Josh? They're probably still waiting in the front area of WildKat where I asked them to," Mr. Hanekoma said as we steadily approached the cafe where the curtains were pulled over the windows, blocking our view inside. We would immediately be back in the RG as soon as we entered through the doors. Sure enough, as we made it to the glass front door, two Reapers sat at the counter, their wings shining in the cafe lights overhead, showing the intricate designs on each one. They seemed to be in a conversation with each other as Kariya leaned back in the stool, twirling his signature lollipop in his hand.

At the chime of the bell as Mr. Hanekoma opened the front door, their heads snapped up to attention and stared at the three of us.

"So which one of you is going to explain about that Nikolai fellow? He's not your average... person... is he? And I see that you two have some injuries," Kariya said, keeping his attention on the lollipop in his hands, before glancing at Joshua with his amber eyes. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Mr. Hanekoma slip into a backroom, leaving two Reapers, a Composer, and an Angel left in the room. I glanced at Joshua who shrugged at the mention of the wound on his shoulder.

"How observant. It wasn't the wings that gave it away was it?" Joshua asked. Yashiro's eye twiched and I could tell she was struggling to hold herself back from punching Joshua or something along those lines. The atmosphere in the air was thick before Joshua finally let out a sigh and looked at both Reapers. "Well, if he didn't introduce himself like a proper gentleman, his name is Nikolai. He's an Angel. An Angel of Death to be specific, although that's his former title. He's a Fallen Angel now. Surely you both know about the Higher Plane and the Angels that reside there because of him."

Kariya nodded. "Heard of it either way, but yeah. The 'angel' wings did give it away. Is that where she comes into play? You must be (Y/n)," he said as he looked at me. "Nikolai mentioned you. He mentioned you and the Composer quite a bit in the beginning of our little, fight. I must say, I didn't expect for you to be an Angel. You knew about the Game, but refused to speak anymore about yourself."

"Oh? So you two have already met?" Joshua asked. I nodded my head as I placed a hand on the back of my neck, feeling a pressure weigh down on my shoulders from the attention being brought to me.

"More than once... And Nikolai doesn't learn when to shut his mouth if you want me to be honest, but yes. That is why I know about the Reaper's game. And you won't have to worry about him again though. He's being taken care of by my superiors," I said. Yashiro looked at Kariya, before switching the attention to the rest of us, letting her eyes glance back and forth between everyone in the room.

"Am I the only one who had no clue about this 'Higher Plane'?!" Yashiro asked, running a hand through her short pink hair as she inhaled and took a deep breath trying to calm herself.

"It seems so. But you seem like something's on your mind. Care to share?" Joshua asked. Her head snapped up from Joshua being on point.

"Well, it's just that I thought you were Erased but here you are, claiming to be the Composer. Only the Conductor is supposed to see you, yet here you are talking to two Harrier Reapers as if it's no big deal. Anyways, I wanted to apologize for how I acted towards you when you were playing the Ga-" Joshua silenced her by the mere gesture of raising his hand as he smirked. She pursed her lips and looked down as she crossed her arms, seeming to have a lot to say, but not being able to find the right words to do so.

"Honestly, it touches that you want to apologize, but I don't need it. Most people get annoyed with me anyways. And I have no problem talking to you both. It's not that uncommon for a Composer to be worried for Reapers. Besides, with Nikolai as your opponent, I'm relieved that you both didn't die. He's a tricky enemy to put it simply. Would you rather me leave you to die? Because those arrangements can be made," Joshua mused. Yashiro almost seemed to be caught off guard by that statement and could only respond with a stutter, unable to form even a single word. Even Kariya seemed caught off guard by what Joshua said. Joshua merely waved his hand in the air as he made a gesture with his hand. "Relax. I'm only joking."