Chapter Two

When we got to Aunt Rena's house, Mom,was waiting.

"Took you long enough". Mom huffed.

"Maddy you invited yourself. So you wait by yourself". Aunt Rena snapped.

There was a silence.

"Besides this was supposed to be a dinner between me and Iris". Aunt Rena rolled her eyes and lead us to the kitchen.

Mom was fuming. Yet she didn't say anything.

"Rena where is Riley?". Mom frowned.

"She stayed at a friend's house so they could go to a party later". Aunt Rena sighed nonchalantly.

"How could you let that child go to a party on a school night?". Mom turned her nose up in disgust.

"Maddy, Riley isn't like Iris, she likes parties. No offense to you Iris". She smiled gently at me.

"None taken". I answered back.

"Dinner should be ready in about thirty minutes. Maddy why don't you go and set the table please". Aunt Rena instructed.

"Why should I?". Mom frowned.

"Because it's the least you could do for barging into my home as an uninvited guest". Aunt Rena snapped.

"Guys, could we please just have one peaceful night?". I sighed.

These two fought like a married couple. Except wouldn't that be kind of weird?

"Fine. I'll go set the table". Mom shrugged defeatedly.

I silently sat at the island and watched one of my favorite Youtubers.

"I hope you like spaghetti Iris". Aunt Rena squealed.

I stopped what I was doing and stared at her.

Spaghetti was one of my Dad's favorite things to make.

"I made it because I thought you'd want to remember how good your father was while he was here". She smiled softly.

All I did was stare at her.

"If that makes you uncomfortable I can make something else". Her smile now fading.

"Yes please". I let out with my jaw clenched.

Why would she mention my father when she knows what he has done to us? Done to me? My mother?

"Iris, I know your Dad is a sore topic for you but you've got to learn how to deal with it"  Aunt Rena looked at me sternly.

I looked at her sideways as tears formed in my eyes.

"Get over it?". I yelped angrily.

She stared back looking as if I were the dramatic one.

"He left us remember? He left us for a super model, they got married last week, he's having another kid, did you know that?". I choked back tears.

"Oh, Iris". She squeaked tears forming in her eyes now.

"Yet, I have to,deal with all of this and a Mother who could shut down at ANY moment all because I said something that reminds her of my Dad. Yet I have to get over the fact that my Dad ripped apart a family that was supposed to be forever. So you don't get to tell me to get over it, because no one told you to get over it when you found Uncle Henry hanging from that same ceiling fan in that living room". I spat as tears streamed from my face. I abruptly got up from my seat and went into the dining room where my Mom was still setting the table. I grabbed her wrist and led her to the front door.