Chapter Seven

I arrive briefly to the restaurant. I check my makeup and hair and head inside.

"Welcome to Gastaeu's, table for one?". The hostess smiled at me.

"Actually no, I'm joining the Sanders party". I informed her.

She smiled and carried my menu over to the table.

There Dad sat as if there wasn't a care in the world.

He smiled once he saw me. The hostess placed my menu down and I took my seat.

"Iris, I've missed you". He smiled softly.

"It wouldn't be that way had you not made the decision you made". I sighed not looking up at him.

"You look stunning tonight". He attempted to change the subject.

"I get it from Mom, you know the woman you were married to for ten years until you up and left us". I spat lowly, still not meeting his eyes.

He grew silent.

The waiter came and to take our drink order.

"I'll have a water no ice". I smiled up at him.

"I'll take your finest red wine". Dad swallowed uncomfortably.

"Yes sir, your drinks shall be right out". The waiter smiled.

I skimmed the menu for the most expensive meal. Once I found it, I did a small happy dance in my head.

"So how's school?". Dad piped up.

"I joined the cheerleading squad". I sighed bluntly.

"Hm. You never pegged me as the cheering type". He smiled a little.

"And I never pegged you as the leave your wife and kid in California alone type, but I guess we were both wrong". I spat.

This dinner was getting nowhere. I had come to gain answers and that was that. Not to make small talk. But to get answers.

"Can I ask you something?". I looked up at him for the first time tonight.

"Um-Yes of course". He perked up straightening his tie.

"Does your unborn child know its father is a coward?". I asked with anger showing no remorse.

He didn't have an answer.

"And does your super model wife know about us?". I shot again.

He still didn't answer.

"And does she know you are such a coward that you sent my Mother divorce papers in the mail?". I showed no mercy on him or his feelings.

He began to cry. I didn't care. Was he there when me and Mom cried when she got the divorce papers? Was he there when I was getting bullied by his wicked niece? Was he there when I thought no one in the world cared? Where was he? Shacking it up with a super model.

"What are you crying for?". I let out bitterly.

"I messed up". He whispered.

"Excuse me?". I frowned turning my ear to him.

"I messed up". He said louder.

By this time the waiter had come with our drinks.

"Are you guys ready to order?". He smiled at me.

"Yes I'll have the Lobster with a steak on the side". I beamed handing him my menu.

Since I couldn't decide, I picked both expensive entrees.

"Well, I'll have the chicken parmesan". Dad choked on some tears.

"Sir are you ok?". The waiter got closer to my Father.

"He's fine". I aggressively kicked my Father under the table.

"Omph! Oh! Yes I'm fine just um-allergies and all". He lied.

The waiter hesitantly walked away.

Dad wiped his eyes and blew his nose.

"So what is this about you making a mistake?". I took a sip of my water.

"My super model girlfriend left me for a barista as soon as we got to Venice. I just made that baby and marriage stuff up so you'd think my choice hadn't backfired". He sighed.

"Dad what you don't realize is that me and karma are best friends, and of course it was gonna get you sooner than later". I smiled sweetly as an elderly couple walked by.

"What do you think I should do?". He asked tears in his eyes.

"Hell if I know! I didn't send Mom divorce papers in the mail, you did! So as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing I can do for you". I shrugged.

"I just want my family back". He rubbed his hand down his face.

"Dad, it doesn't always go how we wanted, like I thought me and Carti were going to be forever, yet that all changed when we moved and I thought you and Mom would be forever and that all changed". I wiped a tear away.

"I hate seeing you cry". He leaned over wiping away some tears.

"Well what are you gonna do about that?". I sniffled.

"I'm gonna try and fix this". He spoke with a straight face.

"I hope Mom will take you back". I shrugged.

"You know after this, I'm not really hungry anymore".  Dad smiled a small smile.

"Me neither". I smiled.

He flagged down the waiter and paid for our drinks and we left. It was now 8:34pm, so I'd go home to change and go to the cheerleading party.

I drove home with a clear mind. Everything in the world felt ok. I parked near the door when I saw a guy about to knock on the front door. He saw me pull up and turned toward me.

"Can I help you?". I frowned not yet seeing his face.

As I got closer to the porch light his face became clear. And I didn't believe what I saw.

"Carti?!".