Chapter Twelve

Saturday came a little too quickly. Zack was in a big fuss because he wanted everything he arranged to be perfect for his Mother. He loved her, and I could see that in his eyes when he spoke about her. Yet, the hurt was there. And that was evident in his eulogy of her.

"Ready to go?". I asked him once I had seen the black limo with tinted windows pulled up the driveway.

"Yeah, just give me a second". He dried his eyes with a white handkerchief.

He got up from the vanity and I took his hand. Mom was going as well.

"If ever you feel the need to talk, I'm here for you". I gave his hand a squeeze.

"Thank you". He choked, on the verge of crying again.

Zack was a very emotional person, and most times his emotions caused him to shut down. And I would be there in case he couldn't go on with the funeral.

Mom met us downstairs.

"You two look nice". She smiled.

"Thank you Ms. Paisley". Zack gave a sad smile.

"Zack, it will get better". Mom reassured him.

She didn't know the things I knew. Meaning the "accident".

Going out into the gloomy day we headed to the church for Ms. Sanders memorial service.

-----------------------------------------------------------
When we got there, surprisingly a lot of people had shown up.

"Do you know any of these people?". I frowned to Zack.

"Distant relatives". He shook his head.

He got up on the podium and cleared his throat. The church went silent.

"Hello everyone. We gather here today, to celebrate the life of Liz Sanders, she lived a rigorous, tough life. And at the age of twenty-one she had a son. Zack Athens Sanders. My Father no longer in the picture, she had a diner job and she had another job at a local market during the day. My grandmother Suzanne watched me during that time. Now it seems, my Mother and I lived a comfortable life. Until she met John. I hated him from the moment he walked into our lives. He got her drinking, he abused her mentally and physically. And on the morning of September 5th 2017 he killed my beloved Mother. And the police have yet to catch him. So if you know anything about his whereabouts please help, and call the police". Zack finished up.

He walked off stage and everyone got up to go to the dining hall. I took him by the hand, his face stained with tears.

"You did great". I sniffled.

We entered the dining hall and all of Zack's "distant family" waited at the giant table for him.

Zack's Mom really didn't leave much for them. Only a college fund for Zack.   I got Zack a seat at the head of the table. I went to get him and my Mom some food. When I returned they sat and ate.

"Your not hungry?". Mom asked.

"No. Not really". I sighed.

"Hey Zack!". A man with a beer belly stood and walked over.

Zack looked at him, annoyed.

"Who are these people you have around us in this time of privacy?". The man stared at Zack.

"They are my family". Zack let out angrily.

"Excuse me?! We are your family. They probably want a cut in on that inheritance your Mom left". He pointed at us.